"Dear Cancer"

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in August last year, I have had all my treatment, chemo, RT, right breast mastectomy, tamoxifen for 5 years. Now waiting for reconstruction. Being messed about over the dates, really frustrating!!!

How ever during my treatment I used internet forums to conect with other women like you. I used this site, twitter, facebook, macmillan…

I spoke with a lot of women in that time and realised that art, poetry, literature and crafts were ways in which you and I worked through our feelings etc…

I realised that there must be a wealth of amazing bits of work out there that is hidden in cupboards and closets, under stairs and in drawers.

My little brain started working in over drive, I thought it might be a good idea to put on an exhibition of work by women who have and have had cancer.

So this is what I have done, I asked women on here to join in and I have had an overwhelming response… We did a couple of photoshoots, intimate beautiful portraits showing the beauty of these women despite everything cancer has done to them and taken away.

Our exhibition is called “Dear Cancer” it is being launched on 25th and 26th October at the Mal Maison Hotel Oxford 7.30pm. Tickets are £25 each includes champagne and canapes.

Pleade do come along, meet some of these amazing women, see their work and read their poems… Or even contribute something yourself.

I have found this all immensly rewarding and incredibly tiring, I hope you will find it inspiring if you are able to come.

You can contact me direct on here if you need any more information.

Anna
x

My new picture on here is part of the exhibition, just a sample of what to expect…

Brilliant idea - good luck, I hope it is a success.

finty x

What a fantastic idea!
Wishing you all the success in the world xx

Hi
I am very impressed with your proposed exhibition - well done. I have been taking photographs of myself throughout since my diagnosis, during chemo and on my way to surgery for mastectomy - post operative with tubes, scars, seromas, and the whole bald thing. It has been a very cathartic experience and I hope to exhibit this work some time. I live in London and have just come to the end of radiotherapy. If anyone else would like to be in touch who is London based, it would be good to get together.
Very best wishes with your project.
Harebell

There is a feature in the Daily Express tomorrow 14th October on the Dear Cancer Exhibition.

Unfortunately it didn’t appear in the Express today, I think the story about the miners took all the space, will let you know when it is going to be in

Hello Anna,

What a lovely idea for an exhibition - wish I lived in the Oxford area, so that I could come and see it, but I live too far away, and am having my mastectomy today, so may not be up to the travel to Oxford for that date.

It just struck me as I was reading your first post though - does anyone else think like me, that a book along the same lines as the Exhibition might be a good idea, with all proceeds to women’s cancer care charity(ies)? It could also be called Dear Cancer. I know it would be a lot of work to produce, but just thought I’d mention it anyway.

Wishing you all the very best with the exhibition - it’s a fantastic idea!

Love to everyone xxx

Thank you

I hope your op goes well today, I remember it all so clearly, we have been thinking about a book, that will be next on the agenda.

We are hoping to tour the exhibition around the country, so we may come to a town or city near you. If you use face book keep and eye on aour "Dear Cancer " page, I update it daily.

Wishing you luck and love for today.

Anna
x

If anyone would like a calendar from this event please send me a private message and I will organise sending you one, they cost £5 each.

Anna

xxx