December 2023 chemo starters

Hi @mrsbee2

I cold capped for 12 weekly Paclitaxel and apart from some shedding and two patches above my ears. I think from putting my glasses under the cap, the nurses didn’t say a word, I only found out 4/5 weeks in! I did have a sensitive scalp and felt every bit of wind/breeze outside so wore hats. I waited 6 months to have my hair cut as I couldn’t bear anyone touching it. 3 months post chemo it’s now settled and I’ve had a hair cut with a rough blow dry.

I know they take a long time but they are really worth it if they work with your chemotherapy. And you still feel like you,
although the steroids bloated me up and my face is rather puffy still but it’s settling.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Good news about how you’ve responded to the chemotherapy.

I wish you well for your surgery :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Four months, 6 cycles, 1 dose of covid, and it’s out!

6 Likes

That’s great news! You must be relieved. What’s next for you now?
I’ve finished chemo 4 weeks ago and the next step for me is surgery. Got an apt with the surgery team on 12th April so hopefully will find out more and get a surgery date.
I’ve still got my port in and not sure when that gets removed. It doesn’t really get in the way so I’m not as bothered with it. Xx

1 Like

@clay83
I am soooo relieved.
I was marked on Monday for 5 days radiotherapy, probably in May.
I’ve got 3 years zolendronic acid every 6 months, vitD/calcium supplements, and 7 years letrozole.
I still have to decide on reconstruction. I had left side mastectomy end of last September, 4 nodes removed which were all clear.
I don’t know if the lovely lady is on this site, but I was given this after to mark the occasion.

I believe one is given to all finishers as I saw another lady being given one 6 weeks ago x

4 Likes

Enjoy a bath or shower without having to protect the PICC.

FYI I had my PICC removed at my last chemotherapy in December and had some discomfort afterwards. A bit of a strange ache and I wondered if I had phantom discomfort (my head thinking the PICC was still there). I spoke to my team and they said it would settle and that after having it in for months it’s not surprising.

I hope you don’t have this discomfort but just wanted to let you know what happens to me. If anything does feel odd give your team a call.

Take care and well done for completing your chemotherapy.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@naughty_boob thanks for the heads up. I had to keep it it covered and dry for 24 hours, but I was finally completely free this evening. It feels ok so far.
One big box ticked. Several more to go. At least I can start making plans for myself now x

3 Likes

Hi All,

Hope you are all well and enjoying the longer days, we just need the sun now :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Here’s the pic of the PICC I’ve been waiting to post, I am also DONE with chemo……:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Feels like such a milestone, it’s surgery then radiotherapy for me next, no idea of dates but we have booked a week in Mallorca in May, that feels good as well!

Extremely fatigued still, even going up the stairs I need to rest, very discombobulating as I’ve always been so active….

Sending you all love x

4 Likes

Hello everyone! I too have finished my chemo, last dose yesterday :tada:! Next step is mastectomy, seeing my surgeon on 23rd April, hope she gives me a firm date, and not too long a wait :crossed_fingers:. Then possibly radiotherapy, depending on results. Also continuing with Phesgo and been offered ibandronic acid, but weekly pill, not every 6 months. Side effects look nasty, but I was lucky with the chemo, so maybe I’ll be alright.
Hair is growing back already, pleased for my head but not for my legs, enjoyed having smooth legs, shame it was during winter :joy:
Sending love to all :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

@mrsbee2 @coral1

It’s such a relief isn’t it!
I had my mastectomy last September. Radiotherapy in May for 15 sessions. Had dexa bone density scan this morning.
Started vit D/calcium supplements last week before starting zolendronic acid.
The sun is out lovely today, so I should be able to get some natural vit D as well as a bit of exercise in the garden.
Ten days after my final chemo and I’m feeling so achy still. At least my taste is almost back to normal. Those Easter eggs are looking very tempting now.
X

5 Likes

Hi everyone, that’s great news about us coming to the end of chemo. One big hurdle down!
I’m 5 weeks out now and feeling more normal. Ive not been very active though so I need to improve my fitness levels.
Just had my first hospital appointment with the breast surgeon and I’ve got my lumpectomy Thursday of next week. Also, got results of my MRI and the lump has gone! Best result from chemo that I could have hoped for. At least chemo was worth it and has done its job. Now just need to hope the lumpectomy gets clear margins and clear lymph nodes.
It’ll be radiotherapy after that but they’ve not given me any details about that yet.
I need to make myself stop for a minute and enjoy today’s positive news without thinking too far ahead and onto the next step in the process. It’s hard but we need to celebrate each small step forward.
Hope you all enjoy the lovely sunny weekend xx

6 Likes

I’ve been celebrating by scraping the moss and weeds off the block paving drive in the sunshine this afternoon. Feeling tired but happy with my achievement. I’ll be even happier in the morning when I open the bedroom curtains.
Now. Which Easter egg needs eating first? Nom nom nom …

5 Likes

Uh! Two finger nails dropped off today. I hope they’ll grow back looking better than they do now. They look hideous. The rest of my nails look like they’re going tge same way:(

1 Like

Aww I’m sorry to hear that. Its the gift that keeps on giving!! Hopefully that does mean they’ll grow back much stronger.
What have you got left to happen now? I had my lumpectomy and SLNB about 1.5 weeks ago. Seem to be healing up well and just waiting for results which is the fun bit. I’ve got an appointment on 14th May so think I’ll need to wait until then to find out how things have gone. I’ll need to keep myself busy until then.
Least the weather is nice today :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think we’re in the same part of the country. The weather is wet and windy here!
Good to know that your wound is healing well. I remenber well the wait for pathology results after my mastectomy last December. I hope you don’t have any nasty surprises. Keep up with those arm excercises. I’m still doing mine. If I don’t I can feel my armpit getting tight if I neglect it.
I start 15 sessions of radiotherapy tomorrow. I will need zolendronic acid every 6 months for 3 years, and I have already started 7 years of letrozole.
I will be meeting oncologist in July, to go through everything that’s happened over the last year.
I don’t suppose you know what’s next until you have your results x

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your nails.

Did you do the www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk course on mail care?

If not, the lovely lady who did mine recommended using Vicks Vaporub on your nails if you lost them or they were inflamed around the cuticles. The camphor in it acts as an antiseptic and the Vaseline consistency helps it to stay in place.

I didn’t loose my nails but had lots of inflammation and infections, and the Vaporub worked a treat. Most of my nails are damaged/ridged/split and my chemo finished in December. Now I’m no longer on steroids I’m allergic to all strengtheners🙁, I just rely on cuticle balm/oils.

Hope this helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@clay83

Be thinking if you on the 14 May, hoping you get good results.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No, I didn’t do the lgfb course. I was warned that docetaxel would wreck my nails, so I kept them short and painted them with strengthener. Most of them are lifting off the nail bed, so I’m sure more will drop off. I’ll try the vicks vaporub though. The smell will take me back to my childhood!
At least my head hair is starting to grow. Maybe the odd eye brow and eye lash hair too x

1 Like

Hi, how did your radiotherapy go? I think that’s what I’ll be having next once I get the surgery results. Not been told how many sessions I’ll need yet they just mentioned that’s the next step.
Let me know how you found radio and if you’ve got any tips :slight_smile:
Xx

It was much easier and quicker than chemo!
They told me to moisturise chest area well in the weeks before starting, and each day while having rads. No discomfort so far. My scar area just felt slightly warm this afternoon.
So far, so good x

1 Like