Decision making


I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January and had a mastectomy on 30th Jan.  Path report showed tumour is strongly hormone receptive and HER2 negative.  It was grade 2 and there was none in the lymph nodes although there is some lymphovascular invasion.  I have started Tamoxifen.  When I first saw the Onc a month after my surgery he told me about the Oncotype DX test but wasn’t sure about funding.  A week later he told me funding was available and told me to expect test results a fortnight later.  On the day I was expecting the results he phoned me to say that the test hadn’t been done because the company hadn’t been paid.  He said funding could come through any day so we had to wait and see. That was last week and I finally heard yesterday that funding is not available after all.  I still want the test done (we can just about raise the money ourselves).  I was relying on the test to help me with my decision about whether to have chemo or not.  I don’t know if I’m running out of time though.  Everyone tells me, to be effective I have to start chemo with 3 months of surgery.  I’m at 10 weeks today and the test takes 2 weeks.  Can’t get hold of my oncologist (his secretary tells me he’s not available).  I really don’t want chemo… the thought of it absolutely terrifies me.  I’m a gibbering wreck right now!

Dear CJT

It might help to call the helpline to talk things over.  They’ll be able to offer you practical information and emotional support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes


BCC Moderator