Decision!

Has anyone else had similar? Had single mastectomy, stage 2 , two small cancers HERS2 positive. Surgeon said I’d need chemo. Saw lovely oncologist who basically said it was my choice - I wasn’t a patient to who she would say I HAD to have chemo as my Predict figures only give another couple of percentages over just Letrazole. They won’t give Herceptin alone yet. It would be 12 weeks of Paclitaxel. I’m 70 and terrified of not being able to continue an active life, feeling ill and side effects of neuropathy etc

1 Like

Honestly it has to be your call but I’m very happy to have not needed chemo.

From what I’ve read it’s not just the treatment itself but significant side effects afterwards. I also would have hated the hair loss making my illness very public. I personally would avoid it.

3 Likes

Hi, I didn’t need it on my first time which was 20 years ago, this feels very difficult. Could you hsve had it or it just wasn’t necessary?

It wasn’t deemed necessary as I was HER2 negative and no nodes involved.

1 Like

My Mum was advised to have it aged 80. She coped very well and 5 years on, all is good. I think herceptin is very significant part of treatment. I had the same treatment 21 years ago., I am very fit and well. A tricky decision. Best wishes.

2 Likes

Dear @belton I hope you are recovering well from your surgery and am sorry to hear about this difficult decision you are being asked to make.

It may help to talk this over with one of the Breast Cancer Now nurses on the helpline.

You can also ask for a second opinion.

I had a grade 3 cancer her2 positive and said no to Paclitaxol but was given Herceptin and accepted half the course.

Wishing you well x

2 Likes

Thanks Tulip. I did chat to one of the nurses and she was helpful and reassuring about side effects. I tried to track down an oncologist today partly to try and find out if I was high or low Stage 2 but everyone was busy.

Tricky decision to make. I do recommend calling the nurses here to chat things through. They are very good at listening and helping you think through the options.

I was diagnosed with HER2+ back in 2023. I had a lumpectomy, followed by chemo and then radiotherapy.

I had Herceptin for about a year. At the start I was prescribed three or four doses of Paclitaxel. However, after an allergic reaction to this, I was swapped to nab-Paclitaxel (Abraxane maybe). I managed to work throughout. I found more problems with tiredness after radiotherapy, if I’m honest.

1 Like

Thank you. Strangely I had no problems with radiotherapy 20years ago, although my drain did sign me off work as I a terminally I’ll mum at the time. .