Dentist visit

I have finish my chemo and start rads on Thursday, can anyone tell me when I can visit the dentist for a check up. I was told at the start of chemo that I shouldnt have any dental treatment. can anyone help|?

I had check ups through out my chemo and rads but just mentioned to the Dentist that I was undergoing treatment - luckily enough I didnt need any dental work

I also had check ups, but dentist said i couldnt see hygenist as gums may bleed and risk of infection, also if treatment was required he would wait until after chemo

Hi Daffodil

You are welcome to call the helpline for advice on your query about dental treatments and check ups, the number is 0808 800 6000 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes
Lucy

I saw my dentist for a check up just after I started chemo and he gave me advice on oral problems that could arise and actually wants to see me in 3 months rather than 6 whilst I am on chemo.
Once again it looks like advice is contradictory …is there anything where advice is standard from area to area?
XX

My Chemo nurse said that they want to know if I need to go to the dentist.

It is indeed because of risk of infection as them poking around in your mouth can make you vulnerable to infection (they make your gums bleed and scratch teeth etc) and my hospital said they would want to check my neutrophil count before I allowed a dentist or hygenist anywhere near my mouth.

I’d phone the chemo nurses and check but you should be OK if you’re past your low neut point but I seriously would check.

I’d happily get advice from dentist or hygenist but there’s no way any tools would be allowed in my mouth right now :wink:

As others have said you should be fine with a check up and I have seen a hygienist for very gentle work during chemo. (I have a history of really awful teeth and a mouthful of crowns and bridges.)

Coincidentally right now I’m in the middle of a nightmare dental emergency as a front five tooth bridge fell out yesterday. I may have to have some teeth extracted and dentist very reluctant to do till I have OK from oncologist. I’m having a chemo break right now so this is the last thing I wanted to happen.

Good luck with your check up daffodil and hope you don’t need any work done.

best wishes

Jane

Hi
after my last chemo, my tooth broke and a filling dropped out. I went to see my dentist and he put a temp filling in until I finished RADS which is next week. He said that any invasive dental work is not recommended even during RADS I spoke to my ONC last week and she said it will be ok to have the filling done now.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Many thanks ladies for all your advice and comments, as usual they have proved invaluable.

My thanks and love to you all

Mo xx