Designing a Prosthethic Bra for women undergoing Mastectomy/Lumpectomy

Hello Everyone,

We are a team of MSc students from University College London (UCL). The team consists of four members from engineering and pharmaceutical fields. As part of a project we are designing a prosthetic bra for women who have undergone mastectomy/lumpectomy or have gone through breast re-construction.

We believe it is extremely difficult for women to continue with their normal lives after surgery and is simultaneously difficult to find the optimum prosthetic bras that serves your needs. We would really like to interview anyone who is willing to share their experience with buying bras after surgery and the problems they face. It is part of our data gather so that we design a product that serves everyone’s needs.

We really need the support of this community so that we can solves the issues that you are facing and end the daunting task of finding the right bra for your needs.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thank You.

Team TSB(The Smart Bra) UCL.

Happy to oblige. I have a drawer full of disasters, as well as my pretty pre-mastectomy bras and I can’t bring myself to chuck - as if suddenly I’ll sprout a new boob again. PM me with more info.

Hi you should consider those who have had therapeutic mammoplasty too and are uneven, it would be big help if bra could be designed for us too. Please pm me and I am happy to help as much as I can :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hi

I would be very interested in this both as a woman who has had a single mastectomy with no reconstruction, and also as a younger person who wants to be able to feel good in what they wear.

Happy for you to send me a pm for further contact.

Thanks

Cassie 

Hi

Count me in on the study. Please private message me with details.  The bra thing has a long list of problems and possible solutions.

What a great idea! I’d be delighted to help - I’m 3 weeks post unilateral mastectomy without recon and still navigating this minefield.  I’m shopping online because of covid and I’ve returned almost everything. So far the best thing I’ve found was the sew-in pockets from Nicola Jane that I could put into two really soft premastectomy bras.  Please PM me with details of how to take part.

Definitely count me in as 3 years post Lumpectomy surgery and still having issues.

Sue

More than happy to help.  Had right side mastectomy with no reconstruction.  Currently wear expensive pocketed bras - only have 3.  All same style - matronly with substantial straps to take the weight of silicone prothesis.  One of my probs is that I like to walk/ramble.  Have got caught on brambles a couple of times and found myself leaking silicone as a result - on my 3rd falsie in 4 years! 

So very happy to help.  We’re a bit of a niche market…

I had right side mastectomy with no recon 4 years ago.

Currently wear expensive, substantial, pocketed bra.  So expensive, I only have 3 (blk, nude, white).  The wideness and sturdiness (has to be to take weight of silicone falsie) are practical but unattractive and limit the neckline and strappiness of outer wear.

Also, I like to walk/ramble.  Have managed to spring a leak in prothesis getting caught on brambles.  Currently on 3rd boob in 4 years.

I wear it quite tight to minimise movement and to try and keep both on the level… have to whip it off in the evening as feel as though im going to expire.

Denise 

d

Good Evening

I am a two times breast cancer survivor who has had a mastectomy. Would love to share my experiences in fitting for a mastectomy bra. What a challenge.

Please contact me.

Thanks

Freddie