Diagnosed 26th March

Hi All I have been diagnosed 26th March, having bone & CT scan on Tuesday 8th and starting Chemo the following week for 6 months, will then have masectomy, and radium, any advise or help will be great. Feel a bit lost in all this medical jargon.

Hi Nikki and welcome to the forums.

I am sure that you will soon receive lots of support and information from your fellow forum members. I am posting to let you know that Breast Cancer Care have published a Resource Pack, it has been designed for anyone newly diagnosed with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and various treatments, it is available via the following link or by contacting the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

You may find our helpline useful to call during this time, they can talk to you about our other support services and also offer support, information and a ‘listening ear’. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, Saturday, 9am - 2pm. I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Lucy

Thanks very much for the welcome and thank you I have ordered the resource pack.

Thanks
Nikki

Hi Nikki,

so sorry to hear you’ve had to join our club but ‘welcome’ to this most awesome website. I was diagnosed in March last year, age 34. I had a right mastectomy and total axillary clearance a week after diagnosis, then had 6 months chemo, 15 rads and am now on Tamoxifen for 5 years and Zoladex for 2 years. My tumour was grade 3, 4cm and I had 25/28 nodes affected. It was hormone receptive and HER2+. Phew, what were you saying about medical jargon??!!!

I know exactly what you mean about the medical jargon. When I was first diagnosed I knew v.little about bc and it has been a VERY steep learning for me and those closest to me. I must admit this site has helped me an awful lot and I’m not sure where I’d be without it, especially in the early days. I have prob got every booklet and leaflet bcc do, and they’re all so helpful. I’ve phoned the helpline on many an occassion too!

Before I started chemo I also had a bone and ct scan. Both totally painless and relatively hassle free. The bone scan took about 30 mins and I actually nodded off! I had some sort of dye injected into a vein a couple of hours before and was advised to drink as much as poss as this would improve the quality of the scan. I drank shed loads of water! You are fully clothed when you have this scan. The CT scan was much quicker. Mid way through some dye was injected into a cannula in my arm. It was weird as this makes you feel v.warm and gives you the sensation of wanting to go to the toilet! Odd but its over v.quickly!

I wish you well as you start out on this journey. You’ll get loads of support and advice on here from fellow forum users, and we all totally understand what you are going through.

Take care and I hope the scans go well on tues,

Keep in touch,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Kelly

Thanks for the info on the scan, makes it all sound not so scary, when someone explains who has been there. This is all very new to me only went to see consultant on the 19th March, and had my mamo, ultrasound and biopsy on the same day, I then went back the following week and got the dreaded result, I spent some time with the nurse, but didn’t know what I should have been asking when she said any questions, your mind is in another universe I think. Even now I don’t know what I should be asking, very strange feeling.

Most folks I have read on here seem to have the op first then chemo or Rad treatment, but they said my tumour is to large and has to be shrunk before they operate, still don’t know the size or grade of the tumour but I expect they tell you all this after you have had your CT scan, as for hormone receptive and HER2+…I’m lost on that one but suppose before I get to the end of this journey I will become ofay with them all.
If you started last March when did you finish all your chemo & Rad treatment? and is it really horrid as I’m thinking right now?
Thanks Kelly it will be good to speak to others who are in the same boat. I am 38 at the moment and thought I was young until I look at this forum
Will let you know about the scan on Tuesday and Thanks you once again
Regards
Nikki

Hi Nikki

Sorry to hear you have to join the club. I thought I would just second what Kelly has said and that you will get lots of support and comfort from others on this forum.
I was dx 4th Jan this year after 3 mnths of “benign” tests so it was a huge shock to learn I had grade 3 IDC non hormone receptive 26mm tumour. I had it removed as they had thought it to be benign but they wanted to go back in for a clear margin. I opted for a mastectomy as for me its more of a mind thing.!! Boob gone no cancer ! I had all my lymph nodes out and cancer was in 2 out of 13 which I guess wasn’t too bad…but hey non of this is brilliant. Anyway enough about me…

My BC nurse said to me get ready for the rollercoaster as your emotions will be just like that…up and down. She said hang on tight and ride the ride.
How true, one day I feel fine and then it hits me again…and then a few more days of ok. I will say for me it has got easier as each stage has come and gone…surgery done, tick that of the list. Next chemo ( which I am having now) and then the last bit will be rads.

I thought I was too young at 43…seems no-one is too young nowadays. I have 2 small kiddies, a 6yr old and 17mnth old. I have told myself I will be there for each wedding of theres and I am going to get old with my gorgeous hubby.

Be kind to yourself, accept help, allow yourself to have those low days and dark thoughts but not for long. Kick butt and stamp out any bad thoughts that linger. You are not alone of this journey, many here to hold you hand and help you along.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Take care

P x

Hi Paula

Many thanks for your encouraging words t is all extremely helpful at the moment, to hear from others who have been through the same or are going through this also.
I have always worked in the care sector and have sat with many who have been diagnosed and wondered how brave they are and “if it was me” i would be in pieces, I have suprised myself how I am coping at the moment, but am aware this is only the calm before the storm of emotions. But hopefully with support from others will get there.

Good luck with your chemo, and start looking for hats them weddings will be here before you know it.
Thanks again
Nikki
x

Hi Paula & Kelly

Had my CT scans and Bone scan on Tuesday, results today is that cancer hasn’t spread, surgeon and oncolgist meeting tomorrow morning and they will phone me with the date and details I start Chemo hopefully will be next week.
Don’t know if anyone else on this forum has felt the same, when I went for my Bone scan the nurse asked me whch side my cancer was on as had to inject radioative stuff into opposite side, for a few seconds I thought who is she talking to… then I remebered it was me with the cancer just felt so strange to be asked direct about my cancer…suppose everyone is treading softly and not saying the C word, just came as a bit of shock I suppose, did laugh with my husband after at my reaction.
How is everyone else doing?
Regards
Nikki

Fantastic news re no spread Nikki.

The reason the nurse checked which side your cancer is on will be to do with lymph node removal.
Those who have already had surgery and had lymphs removed should not have injections or blood pressure taken on that side for fear of lymphodema.
I guess she is used to asking the question and asked automatically, which is a good thing.

Very best of luck with the chemo, let us know what you’re having and how you’re doing.

Jackie x

Hi Nikki,
I also had chemo first to shirink tumour, not long finished and going for lumpectomy on Tues. Started on Herceptin this week. Good luck, it’s a rollercoaster, but talk to people
xx

Hi everyone

Thanks for you help and support through this journey, it definately does help knowing you are not alone, even to read other comments on different threads is a help.

Good luck to everyone where ever they are on this journey.

Good luck Mary for Tuesday.

Spoke with my BC nurse today have to go in and see her on Monday to discuss treatment and type of Chemo and if I will be willing to take part in a research program, got to think about it over the weekend and discuss it more on Monday…Anyone else any advice of info on this.

Have a good weekend all
regards
Nikki

Hi Ladies

Many thanks for support from this forum I have joined Chemo forum, as starting FEC chemo on Monday

Wish everyone well with their treatment.

Thanks
Nikki
-x-

Hi Nikki

So do you know what grade etc and hormone status it is yet? So Chemo day is monday…excellent. You will get through this sweetie ok…will check out the chemo forum to see how you doing. I just had my 3rd Epi…yahoooo only one more Epi then its tablets for me as I am on TACT2 trial.

Best of luck on monday hun

P xx

Hi Paula

Thanks and good luck with your last one, and also the trail I am on Options study, not sure what it will involve, but if it helps somebody in the future it is all worth it.
I have been told it is grade 2, stage 3 invasive lobual. so having 6 x FEC chemo to start, then mas & Rads, roll on xmas and I should be about finished.

Thanks
Nikki
-x-

Hi Nikki

I just caught up with your other thread in chemo section. Excellent that you know whereabouts you are with all this.

Yes I feel the same I am hoping to be done and dusted by Oct…Yahooo well I will keep an eye out for you and how your chemo is going.

Take care,

P x