diagnosed in may

i’ve never used a chat site, so all this is new to me, the cancer i’m getting used to. i had a mastectomy five weeks ago, followed by removal of all my lymph none3s on wed, much more painful than mastectomy. i’m waiting for results from biopsy, 2 weeks yesterday. since we found out all we’ve done is wait, cry and swear. sounds stupid, but i really want shemo to start, to feel that everything is being done, i had 2 tumours, one 2.7cm and the other10cm, seems huge to me. Any thoughts

Hi emn

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site, who I am sure will be along soon to offer their support.

I hope you get the information and support you are looking for from these forums, don’t be afraid to ask anything, there’s always someone to help, including our dedicated helpline team who are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Emn…can’t offer you any words of wisdom about your diagnosis as mine very different to yours. All I can offer is reassurance that how you are feeling is very normal…like many of us you probably had little or no symptoms and feel like your world has been turned upside down? It is OK to feel like this and whatever emotions you have are right for you. I expect we all did lots of crying, swearing, ranting, disbelief, ‘why me’, meltdowns! It’s the waiting, not knowing and lack of control, coupled with the feeling that the body you thought you knew so well has somehow let you down…you will probably be thinking ‘what did I do/not do’ etc. Once you have all your results and a treatment plan in place you will regain some of that control, and there will be light at the end of the tunnel. This forum (the helpline and publications) can be very helpful whether you are a ‘group’ kind of person, or simply a ‘lurker’ like me! I found lots of useful tips and advice and ‘met’ some lovely people who were going through the same treatment at the same time, or who had gone through treatment and come out the other side so to speak. My diagnosis and treatment was over a year ago and I am here to tell the tale! I feel well, have hair again, and last weekend completed the Race for Life. The next few months will be challenging at times, but you WILL get through them with the love and support of those closest to you and an experienced hospital team. I am sure others will be along shortly to offer the same kind of reassurance…one step at a time, one day at a time, live ‘in the moment’ and try to drag yourself back from the ‘what ifs’!!..you take care x

Hi emn, I’m a bit further down the road than you, but my tumours (two combined) measured 8cm and I know it does seem huge - you think how could you have missed it?? I had a mastectomy followed by removal of lymph nodes after they discovered some were infected, and I agree the second operation is more painful and harder to recover from. Mine was four weeks ago and despite some cording, I have full movement back again.

The waiting really is the worst, I think we’d all agree on that! Once you get your results and a treatment plan you’ll feel more in control. I have six chemo sessions starting soon, then possibly radiotherapy, then hormone tablets for five years as my tumour was ER positive. Not looking forward to chemo, but I think it’s got to be done in my case, and the sooner I start, the sooner I finish!

Good luck with your results, you’ll find lots of support on this site and at least you’ll know you’re not alone.

Annie x

dear jo, thanks for your support, i’m feeking fragile after 3 days on iv antibiotics following a wound infection. i’ve already had a mastectomy and lymph clearance. i’m awaiting chemo and radio next. my tumour was 10 cm across and this has really frightened me how could something that big be there without me knowing it.
thanks for listening,
emnfg4vx

hi annie, thanks for your support. i,ve just had 3 days in hospital following an infected drain from the lymph nodes. i really feel i’ve let myself and family down, fallen at the second fence. i wil have to get myself up and trudge on. should get results friday week, and then on to chemo. it’s the endless waiting that gets me.

you’re right, it’s the waiting, the endless, endless waiting, asking people to do things you’d very rather much do yourself. and the loss of control. i will feel a bit more focused when a treatment plan is in place, but at the moment i’m so sore - i’ve just had 3 days in hospital on iv antibiotics for an infected drain.