Diagnosed in Oct 23, Surgery Dec 23, declined all alopathic treatments

Hello to everyone here.

I was diagnosed with Pleomorphic DCIS Stage 3 in October last year. I had a wide local excision in the right breast and complete node clearance in the right armpit. 7 out of the 11 lympnodes had cancer. The surgeon was delighted with the results of the op and had excellent margins all round.

I have chosen the natropathic route rather than the NHS’s suggestion of chemo, radio and hormone therapy for 8 years.

Is there anyone else on this particular journey who would care to share mine with me?

3 Likes

You may struggle to get a response on here as most people tend to go down the chemo/radiotherapy route…but i may be wrong …anyway just to wish you well

I wish you well also although there is no one who is a regular here who has declined standard treatment that I am aware of. I will also post this article just in case you find it informative - https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2017/alternative-medicine-cancer-survival. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi Bryndle,
Welcome to the forum.
I intend to accept all conventional treatment that is offered to me but am also interested in dietary and lifestyle changes alongside and would be very interested to keep you company and hear how you get on xxx

Interesting that this article quotes non-metastatic breast cancer.
I wonder if it is different for metastatic breast cancer, but probably not so many, or any, studies done.

I can’t imagine it would be but at any rate there are no reliable studies that I have found.

1 Like

Hi

I had DCIS and also got excellent margins but wasn’t in lymph nodes until a test earlier this year. Like the others I am following the trad. route (surgery to remove all nodes, chemo, rads, hormone) because of the challenge of lymph node involvement. However I too am interested in alternative treatments as a positive way to help and interested to know your chosen route? There are a couple of books published such as Jane McLelland’s book however I believe she too had chemotherapy but studied alternative treatments and diet after the chemo.

Wishing you the best.

I didn’t refuse radiotherapy but allergic reaction to hormone tabs have lead me to a naturalistic route! It is a lonely place , but I’ve managed nearly a year ! I too have looked at diet and excercise etc . I know of 1 person who did the same as me and looks after herself through a nutritionist with support from her oncologist. I was lucky that my oncologist has gone along with this due to my stats. Have you looked at the Penny Brohn website??? I have found their support invaluable. I’m happy to share you journey and keep you company! :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Hi, I had a right side mastectomy and reconstruction on 5th July. I’m 2x grade 3 her2+ so far and they took lymph’s (not sure how many), results on Friday. I’m repairing well so far but the tension headaches are real and the fear of the unknown can be overwhelming. I worry that every twinge is C metastasising but have to be quick to think of something else, find some other distraction, really try to remind myself about controlling what I can and doing the best about what I can’t. I’m filling the time I have, outwith work, with research - mistletoe therapy, the metabolic approach to cancer, intermittent fasting, micro blading and resisting the urge to buy more cheap wigs. I’ve been told I will get 6-8 rounds chemo and a year of herceptin injections. Will see out come on Friday and will ask about supporting therapies as in the metabolic approach they mention how bad the steroids are but I’m very aware there’s a lot of misinformation out there. It’s very tricky, we are all different and road to this has been different, our road out likely different too and that’s where the metabolic approach considers that but I will take advice from the experts and hopefully they can offer some insight on complimentary therapy.
Best wishes for you on your journey X

I wasn’t offered chemo I did have radiotherapy and started the oestrogen blockers but stopped after a few months due to side effects and concerns over how it would effect my pre existing conditions .Luckily my breast team are on board with thls . Oncology had discharged me by that time though I know she wouldn’t be pleased that I had stopped. Years ago I had homeopathic treatment for a problem which didn’t respond to conventional treatment with some success - this caused me some soul searching as I am a Nurse working within the NHS . I’ve also been helped by Yoga and mindfulness as well as counseling I do tend to look at illness holistically . I am using intermittent fasting and strengthening my immune system by trying to eat well and having foods and drinks containing live fut friendly bacteria . I have heard of a treatment based on mistletoe called Iscador which is available in Scandinavia and some private clinics here . If you haven’t already I think it might be worth sitting down with someone and going through your stats in detail - get as much good information as you can about your condition would be my advice .

I’m glad that you got such a good result from your surgery and I’m happy to share your journey with you and let’s hope it’s a long and happy one for us ball. Xx

3 Likes

If I’m reading this correctly then the patients in this study refused surgery as well as chemo / radio etc ?

I believe so, yes. “One is that this study looked only at patients who refused any type of conventional treatment after a cancer diagnosis”

1 Like

Hi Bryndle, I’m with you. :blush:. My tumour was detected early and I feel very lucky in that respect. Lumpectomy and lymph node removal in March of this year. Healthy margins and clear lymph nodes. Pre cancerous cells detected (I can’t remember the exact terminology). I was last on the list for surgey that day, as I had no other complications (like diabetes or heart problems or weight issues or mobility issues). I experienced persistent advice to accept radiotherapy and endocrine medication. In the end I was recorded as having ‘refused’ treatments and other people I talked to since have used the word ‘refuse’. I didnt refuse, I politely declined. Even before this I was taking no repeat medication. I rarely have so much as a paracetamol. Even before this I ate the best quality food I could find (and afford) - organic, fresh, no ultra processed garbage etc. I occasionally eat meat, not often. For me there was little to debate - my breast cancer nurse said ‘would I regret my decision if the cancer came back?’ I said no. Weeks later she said that if the cancer came back and I’d had radiotherapy then my only option a second time around would be a full mastectomy. We have made the right choices for ourselves, that’s all there is to it, we dont have to justify it in any other way. Sara. X

2 Likes

dcis means ductal cancer in situ which means it hasn’t spread. if you had a large number of lymph nodes with cancer in them you could have had ductal cancer rather than pre cancer. I do not think you would have been recommended 8 years of cancer treatment if they were not concerned that it could spread to other parts of your body (typically bones, lungs, liver but can go to a great many other areas / organs if it metastasises (called secondary breast cancer).

if I were you depending on your age, I would get another opinion on what to do or look at the NHS advice on primary and secondary breast cancer.

Good luck my friend

Seagulls

Hi @saragee

Yes I must admit that I did not take in the fact that I could only have radiotherapy once on this side . This surprises me as I only had 5 treatments so other people having " boosts" will be having my h more more than me and it was my right side as well so no risk to the heart. I’m a Nurse but still wasn’t aware of this and mine was such a low grade cancer I feel almost like radio was wasted on it which I know sounds silly. However the main reason I had it was because I had a feeling I might not stay the course with endocrine therapy which I didn’t. Makes you think though and if it does recur I think I’d rather have a mastectomy than years or endocrine therapy . Hope I don’t ever have to make that decision.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the National Cancer Institute is funded, partially at least, by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. If their research came up with a 100% concrete guaranteed cancer cure, they’d lose millions of pounds in lost revenue for all of the current medications that they sell. I do not believe for one momennt that they have the patient’s best interests at heart, I do however, believe that they do everything possible to preserve their bottom line. So I do thank you for posting the link, but I’ll not be swayed by it.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have gone over my results with an expert in the field outside of the NHS and I’m entirely confident with the route I have chosen.

I’ve got friends who have been in a similar condition who have gone down the conventional route and I have watched their health irrevocably decline as a result.

The NHS wanted to pump me full of poison. My Natropath wants to build me up with homeopathics, the right diet and stress management.

For me, this was a no brainer.

1 Like

i am keen on randomised controlled trials but they seem rare in the world of medicine perhaps because of the small number of companies in the market and the high development costs and the small chance of success. There’s also the bad press they get from causing people to become addicted to painkillers after they did their backs in working for companies based in towns with heavy industries.

1 Like

Good luck! I will offer one caveat to the “if they cured cancer, they’d lose millions of pounds”. That’s not true. They’d just simply sell the cure for billions and use it again and again because a cure doesn’t prevent the disease. People will keep getting it. They’d just be cured of that one cancer and move on with their lives hoping another one doesn’t hit. And then when it does, a cure for that one will be administered and rinse repeat all to the tune of massive profits. There is no money in prevention but a cure? That would be worth more money than any of us can imagine and you better believe our capitalistic pharmaceutical companies want that.

@bryndle Understand you have to be confident in the route you have chosen and while chemo can be described as poison it also has the ability to stop your cancer from becoming incurable.

The only thing we can look at is evidence and the data to support your recovery. Whatever your chosen route it’s good to keep an open mind. I do think healthcare in the next era will be a combination of holistic and traditional but we are not there yet and it feels like people are encouraged to almost pick a side when perhaps the reality is the combination of both could be a powerful force. I would love to see oncologists embracing a new approach.

Having gone through the harshest chemo, there is a lot to mitigate side effects and it unfortunately is still the only way to stop the cells in their tracks (that we know of). I feel healthy now after it and know many other people that are out the other side and back living a normal life. But it is scary how little progress has been made and for sure the drug companies are perhaps not invested enough to make further change happen.

Would be interested to know what recommendations your naturopath suggests and if there are any learnings that you would be happy to share. Wishing you the very best in your recovery.

4 Likes