Diagnosed this week - holiday in 4 weeks!


So I find myself in this new world and so pleased to find this forum. 

I’m 51 and went for my first routine mammogram screening about 4 weeks ago. Call back letter arrived to go to breast centre for further tests. Biopsies done.

This week I’ve been told I have stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma - tumour is smallish at about 10mm but there is also cancer in one lymph node. 

I’m seeing my surgeon for the first time tomorrow to outline the plan of action but I’ve been told by the doctor at the breast centre it will be lumpectomy, radiotherapy, hormone therapy and possible chemotherapy.

I don’t feel too frightened at the moment although the whole thing is a complete bolt out of the blue. 

Thank goodness for the mammogram screening service otherwise I’d never had known anything was wrong as I’ve had no symptoms. 

To top it all in 4 weeks time I am due to go to Disney in Florida with my 2 sons. A holiday that I originally booked in 2019 but has been postponed 3 times due to Covid. I am only going for a week and I wonder if I will be allowed to go. I really need this holiday as I haven’t had one for 6 years and I’d rather go now when I’m feeling well…

Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts!

Jedigirl Sorry you find yourself on here but glad you’ve reached out to bcn :two_women_holding_hands: You will have a whirlwind of appointments now as your team put your plan in place Do speak to your surgeon tomorrow as advise about your planned holiday and if it’s possible to go on that first, it took 6 weeks between diagnosis and operation when I was diagnosed, but each trust is different so do speak to them and trust their advice I know a lady from my chemo thread back in 2017 delayed for a week or so to go on holiday after discussing with hers I’m sure others will pop on with any advise about travel insurance for you too :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx