Diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer/exercise with bone mets

Diagnosed last week with metastatic lobular cancer after GP ordered CT for anemia (it showed spine and rib mets). Big surprise as there is no cancer in my breasts, though they found one iffy looking lymph node, which is where they found lobular cancer. Off HRT, onto letrozole and palbociclib - started yesterday. Already feeling more achey with the drugs and actually feeling ill for the first time. Worried about exercise (among so many other things). Obviously, I don’t want to cause a fracture (am having denosumab starting friday) but also would like to do some exercise - swimming or pilates maybe. Advice about this from anyone else with extensive bone mets would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Hello Senga , I’m so sorry you find yourself here .
Im sure there are folks who have direct experience but there is a good book , Moving through Cancer .
Do your local authority offer any classes ? Mine has a cancer rehabilitation programme but it includes people who are going through treatment.
I started on Anastrazole a week ago and was hit by unpleasant side effects but they seem to be easing ( probably just jinxed that now :cry:)
Or can your CNS advise ?
Wishing you all the best x

1 Like

I’ll ask the nurses about classes tomorrow - I have my first denosumab injection. There is one council sponsored class just for older/less mobile people so I think I’ll give that a try. Yes, aromatase inhibitors - aren’t they fun? Honestly, I felt fine till I started the medicines. Not so easy to ignore what’s happening when your body is telling you all the time!

My BCN gave me a few sheets of info. But be kind to yourself , so perhaps swiming and pilates for nowx

1 Like

I started with seated classes - yoga & tai chi - then careful balance class and pool walking, later full gentle tai chi. Took a graded return to exercise after starting Denusomab as I had many bone mets and a fall would mean more broken bones. Took a few months. Check with your team and listen to your body.

2 Likes

I had extensive bone mets two years ago, with also 3 broken vertebrae. I feel like exercise was a big part of my recovery! It help strenght bones and help muscles keep up your skeleton. It is very suggested by bone oncologists.
I started very slow, exercise laying down, as I couldn’t stand up for long time. Than careful walking, with a walker, thigh bust and collar for months. Than light jogging with trekking poles. I was so scared to go out without them! Now, I trail running an hour a day plus 30 minutes cardio yoga. It really help my mood too.
Very important is never to force yourself, and be super careful to feel what your body can handle or not.
I wish you all the best and a good recovery!

4 Likes

Thank you for the encouraging responses - I will take things slowly:)

1 Like

Similar experience to you - Feb23 diagnosed metastatic secondary breast cancer (lymph nodes/cannot locate in breast) Stage 4 - bone loss in left hip ( skipped primary diagnosis) Commenced Letrozole/Ribociclib & monthly denosumab. Initially admitted for 3.5 weeks due to worries re hip fracture …then advised for 12 months no weight bearing at all !
Good news no cancer spread for 14 months & surgeon ( from scans) advised that i can now start weight bearing exercises to ‘build up’ the bone loss. Please seek advice from your consultants (mine very cautious initially) and from your local Macmillan team - the dietician, physiotherapist and nurse where an amazing source of advice re exercise, diet (protein) and on-going issues from the medication. The Christie home team nurses administered my Denosumab - they had similar patients in my position and where very helpful .is a long journey and my life has changed (couldn’t drive for 12 months) …I may still need surgery but I concentrate on what i can do (lost 2 stone in weight which has been a massive help re my mobility) and just get on with life …lots of help out there …good luck

2 Likes

oh wow - sounds like you had a great team there. But so much to deal with! I have a bone scan next week so will know more then; I am concerned about my right hip as it’s been giving me trouble for a long time but I thought it was just arthritis.

Hi, can you share wahat kind of weight bearing exercises you are ding? I read a lot about those kind of exercise can help a lot, but is just from very recently that I can acually carry heavy things again. So I did a lot of jogging and other exercise, but not weight bearing exercises.
Thank you

Hi. my doctors/surgeon/Physio - advised (after reviewing my scans) putting more weight through my left hand side…ie shifting body weight from right side to left side, squats, I have weights ( 1kg to 4kg) so I am trying to improve my upper body strength with arm exercises . I also have ankle weights for when I am sitting down and lifting my legs up/down. I have a small foot pedal exercise machine which for me has been really good …increasing the tension slowly. Trying to build up to 10 minutes on the foot pedal (x 3 a day ). I am now having hydrotherapy ( NHS) which is working totally different muscles …but wish it was for more than 6 sessions as it is very popular. I need to be very careful not to fall hence my exercises are all in doors. I was told to stop if anything is hurting or the technique not correct. Hope this is helpful

1 Like

My left hip was not right for months and a lot of medical professionals said it was a pulled muscle! I went from 1 walking stick to 2 walking sticks but with physio initially I was getting better !! Eventually I insisted on an MRI scan but the scan results took ages . If I had started my treatment sooner I would have less bone loss. If something doesn’t feel right for you …my advice is to push/chase & make a note in your diary about your symptoms. My family had to call out an ambulance for me at one stage but the ambulance staff (very good re pain relief ) didn’t want to take me to hospital. Looking back might have been better for me to have gone to Hospital to see what was going on …good luck re your appointments

2 Likes

Thank you, very useful! I will carefully try some on those exercize