Diagnosed Yesterday

Hi very new on here… got diagnosed yesterday with DCIS and mastectomy needed. Only went with a hormonal lump last monday that was nothing however the mamogram, scan & biopsy has turned this up, needless to say i am in a state of complete shock, any advice on how to get over the next few days and come to terms with this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hello Walkergirl

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Hi walkergirl,

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, i to was DX only a few weeks ago 22nd sept.

The first few days were horrible, like you said still in shock. What made me feel better was being surrounded by people and talking it over. I had a few days off work then went back to it and just kept myself as busy as possible untill my operation.

I didn’t read up on any of my notes untill recently and i still only read bits that i need to as it can be information overload.

its easier said then done but a positive attitude really helps

take care

Big hugs
Hayley xxx

Hi,

I really feel for you! I know exactly what you mean. I felt like I was having an out of body experience when I was telling people. I couldn’t believe it was me!

My friends were an amazing source of help and strength and you probably just have to go through that shock. Do you have the date for your op yet?

Liz x

Hi Walkergirl
Try to keep busy and maintain some semblance of normality. I went into work the day after my mammogram and core biopsy. I was very open and told everyone what had happened and the treatment I was going to receive. I felt that by talking about it it would help me get my head round it.In all honesty I felt quite detached from it as if it was happening to someone else(in denial!).
It did help me get through the mastectomy and reconstuction but it is now post treatment(on Tamoxifen)that I have gone to pieces.
You need to give yourself time to come to terms with what’s happening. Unfortunately only you know the best way to handle it so just go with what feels right at the time.
Good luck.x

Hello Walkergirl

This is my first post on this site too but I felt I had to get in touch with you. I was diagnosed with DCIS in May this year after finding some bloody discharge. This resulted in a whirlwind of tests, biopsies, mammograms etc etc and the diagnosis of widespread low grade DCIS and the conclusion that I would need a mastectomy on my left side. I was stunned, I had never heard of DCIS and am a healthy 36 year old! Surely they had got it wrong and couldn’t be talking about me!!!

I had my mastectomy at the end of June - a skin sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with a permanent expander implant which was expanded over weeks and is now at it’s full capacity. When they analysed what they had taken away there was a 4mm area of invasive in there and consequently I am now on tamoxifen, with no other treatment required. I also had a sentinel node biopsy and my nodes were clear.

I just felt I had to tell you that although it is all such a horrible shock I have found my recovery to be pretty straightforward and I am now feeling really well and almost back to my normal self. I felt that there was nobody out there who was the same as me, however on finding this forum it has made me realise that I am not alone. I also have the most fantastic husband and family without who I couldn’t have got through it all.

So although it is scary I got through it. The operation is not the most pleasant thing however it certainly wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be (despite having one of my drains in for 15 days - a record for both my hospital and district nurse!!!) and I really feel now that I am moving forward.

There is so much more that I could say about it all but I don’t want to to bore you, however if you have any questions please ask and I will do my best to answer you.

Keep your chin up and keep positive and I will be thinking of you.

Take care x x