diagnosis of breast cancer without a mammogram

hiya ladies, iv got a query which has really been eating away at me over the last week.my nan whos 84 has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is due for surgery on 09/02/2012, on her visit to the breast clinic she only had a biopsy taken, i asked whether they were going to do a mammogram but i was told it wasnt needed that i really dont understand, bearing in mind my nan has NEVER had a mammogram done. how can the doctors be certain that there isnt any cancer in another part of that breast or the other breast without doing any other tests.iv even tried a few private screening clinics but they say we cannot do a mammogram, we only do routine mammograms not if anyone has a lump or suspected cancer. this question mainly goes to ladies who’ve had breast cancer and surgery, anyone out there who went through what my nan has been through by that i mean having breast cancer diagnosed, having surgery but no mammogram. hope ive come to the right place where someone can help me out. always eagely to hear from any1

Hi ani2012

I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies to your question as yet, but this may be because users haven’t seen it as I found it in the ‘chit chat’ forum which doesn’t show up within latest posts. I have now moved this into the ‘family, partners & friends’ forum where I am sure you will get some good support from the many informed users of this site.

Could I also suggest that you give the helpline here a ring and have a chat with one of the staff who I am sure again will be able to support you. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi,

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to your question.

Did you go to the appointment with her, or are you relying on what she told you? Perhaps she understands but isn’t good at explaining it to you yet?

I would say if you are at the appointment and don’t understand what the doctors are telling you then ask them again. In my experience my team have been happy to answer any direct questions and to make sure I have taken in the information they give me (which can be difficult when there is a lot of it and often a surprise/shock).

Does your nan have a breast cancer nurse allocated? You could try talking to her (with your nan’s permission), and I am sure if she doesn’t know she can set you and your nan up another appointment with the surgeon.

Lynda

Ani
I am sorry you did not get many replys. Diagnosing Breast Cancer is done by triple assessment. Palpating ie feeling, imaging, (mammos, ultrasound, MRI) and biopsy. Your Nans cancer could have been obvious on palpating the breast and mammography might have caused her pain. They would therefore miss it out and do a biopsy. Is she having a mastectomy and does she have any other physical problems? You could do as Jo suggested and ring the Helpline. They could talk you through the diagnostic process and treatments.
Screening programmes are Not for symptomatic patients. I you have a lump it needs to be treated in a Breast Clinic. It might be there was no mammography available on the day your Nan visited and they plan to do it when she comes into hospital. If you visited the clinic with your Nan did you see the Breast Care Nurse.? You could always give her a ring.
I hope all goes well.

She may have had an ultrasound. I suspect they would have needed to in order to do the biopsy. My lump didn’t even show on a mammo so it doesn’t mean she hasn’t been properly diagnosed. Do give the helpline a ring on Monday.

hi ani
My breast cancer was dx by biopsy because it did not show up on mammogram.I had had several clear mamogramms only to be told I had cancer in my bones,axilla and possibly lungs, so mammograms are not totally reliable.A biopsy is quite often the definative way to give diagnosis.It maybe the case that your mother’s team think this to be the case.
Why not give the helpline a ring to see if they can answer your questions further.

L xx

I think (but am not 100% positive - someone else may know) that if breast cancer is found as a lump in an elderly person it is usually slow growing (not agressive) so they can treat the patient a bit more gently and don’t need to investigate the other breast as even if there was a tiny tumour there it would be a long time before it posed any risk.

I think that is why they stop the breast screening programme on reaching a certain age.

Certainly worth seeing if your nan would let you (or someone else) go to appts with her to ask questions and make notes.