DIEP flap anxiety

Hi
I was diagnosed with a grade 2 Invasive ductile carcinoma in February 2023. I was due to have a lumpectomy but the MRI showed a further tumour which was grade 1. I was then told I required a mastectomy of my left breast. I have opted for an immediate reconstruction, (DIEP)

I feel as though I’ve been waiting ages but I know in the grand scheme of things I haven’t. Since my diagnosis I haven’t coped well. I’m due to have surgery on Monday 17th April and I’m terrified. I have a supportive family and I’m trying to be brave for them but the nearer the surgery comes, the harder I’m finding everything.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how I can cope with the anxiety? Also, does anyone have any practical advice about their experience of the DIEP procedure?

3 Likes

Dear Meebie,

We have all been there, and now we are here for you. surgery takes a big toll on us myself I was extremely frightened have similar surgery to you as everyone is different, yes it was painful……however after a couple of days you will be feeling much better and able to cope as you said you have a supportive family which is great news.

Be kind to yourself lots of TLC and treats, most of all one day at a time.

Wishing you well going forward, as soon as you are feeling up to it put a little note on the forum to let us know how your doing.

biggest hugs Tili :rainbow: :rainbow:

I had a single mastectomy and axillary node clearance with a DIEP flap reconstruction just before Christmas. I had never had major surgery before and underestimated the recovery time - googling told me I should be walking without pain after 2 weeks and be driving/doing housework/vaccing etc after 6 weeks but this was wildly optimistic for me. In fact I was in quite severe pain in my belly area for 8 weeks which felt like stabbing needles but it suddenly lifted and I am now much more comfortable. The skin on your belly will feel stretched but it does get better over time.
It was several weeks before I could travel in a car without pain (each pothole jarred my wounds!). I found a mastectomy cushion really helpful, also using it now to help with seatbelt pressure on my radiotherapy burns.
Give yourself time to heal and get lots of help. It’s a journey not a race :blush:.
Four months post op and I’m still being gentle with my body but able to walk 7 miles and do pilates (avoiding stuff like the plank that requires strong abs). You’ll get there by taking it a day at a time. Lots of hugs xx

1 Like