Diep flap reconstruction weight loss

Hi,
I had a single mastectomy & diep flap reconstruction 5 months ago.
I was absolutely terrified of surgery & put on a stone with stress eating in the weeks leading up to my surgery.
Im now 5 months post op, delighted to be alive & happy with my results.
Surgeon told me they’d make my reconstruction slightly bigger as it could shrink from radiotherapy. I dont think it did.
Anyway i have now lost 2 stones (without trying) since my op. I just feel so much more relaxed & like myself.
“Problem” is that my reconstructed side now looks quite a bit bigger than my natural side. If i lose further weight will my reconstructed side get smaller or am i going to be left with one big reconstruction & a much smaller natutal breast?
Really dont think i could go through another surgery to reduce the reconstruction
Any advice appreciated

2 Likes

Hi @Luskentyre1,

I am sorry you haven’t had a response to your question - it sounds like you’re in a confusing situation and it’s natural to want to know what your body will look like after further surgery.

I am sure someone will be able to share their experience with you. In the meantime please know that our nurses are here for you any time, here on the forum on the Ask our Nurses your questions or over the phone 0808 800 6000.

Sending our love,

Alice :heart:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply but i think youce misunderstood my question.
My question is will i lose weight from my reconstructed breast or will it always be the same size in which case i may need to consider further surgery