Diet, food lists and good cook book/s

Hi.  Can anyone advise on the best food list/cook book re breast cancer diet 

I’ve been vegetarian for over 30yrs and my diet has not been good for a long, long, long time.  And I’m 4 stone overweight so doesn’t help things. I’m post op and waiting for radiotherapy to begin.  I’m taking Letrazole, Vitamin D and Calcium. 

I know I have  osteoporosis and have started taking vitamin D and Calcium (many years too late, as I thought I was Superwoman and foolishly didn’t need to take supplements as I felt okay).  But diet and exercise are now just as important to me to put in place.

After my BC diagnosis a few months back I got even worse in bad eating.  Comfort eating I guess.  I  want to overhaul totally what I eat but  again I’m getting confused (not difficult!) over what’s acknowledged as best. 

For instance Yoghurt - is Greek  yoghurt  better than plan natural yoghurt?  Is full fat better than zero fat?  Is Kefir better than both?  

Are tinned kidney beans, tomatoes, chick peas, baked beans okay (or are they processed)    Are dried version better?   Do they have to be organic?  

Ideally I want something simple like a listing of everyday foods which optimise good health not only now  as I wait for radiotherapy to begin,  but also to compliment post surgery and help prevent BC (or other forms) returning in the future.

Ideally I want a cook book too.  A book that is simple, listing foods which optimise good health . 

Can anyone recommend (ideally, but I can adapt if not) a good, vegetarian and/or a plant based cookbook that is simple to understand about diet,  gives  recipes and the best foods to eat relating to BC?  Again ideally a simple cook book that is a newish publication and lists foods which optimise good health (while I’m waiting for radiotherapy to start)  but also compliments post surgery health and helps prevent BC (or other forms) returning.

Thank you and for taking time to read this post.  

Hello @Bluebell22 

I read your post with interest as following my BC diagnosis and treatment I was keen to make changes and give myself the best chance of it not returning 

I took a slightly different approach to food: I had read one of the books by Tim Spector (he has two out Spoonfed and Food for Life) and what he has to say is very interesting about nutritional health and weight management. It seems to me that the scientists are advocating food that is not ultra processed and minimising sugar and not much more! Weight loss is only achieved by creating a calorie deficit and the simple fact is we eat more than our bodies need. There are no “magic” cancer diets: the advice is the same for everybody 

There is a very informative and entertaining episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage on BBC Sounds which discusses all aspects of nutrition which explains it a lot better than I can. 
Personally I have succeeded in shifting a stone in weight which I honestly thought I’d never lose, by using an app which uses psychology/CBT to help change my thought processes towards food, it has made a massive difference to me (it’s also helped me address some of my general anxieties by giving me new strategies which don’t involve the biscuit tin!)

Good luck! ?

AM xxx

Thank you so much AM for taking time to respond.   My partner us always talking about Dr Tim Spector.   Until now I used to raise my eyes at diet my partner has followed for past year but not now.  I’m following most of what he is eating  (apart from fish and occasional chicken which I don’t eat).  I’ve already lost 5lbs.  But I’m eating better because of the BC and treatment.   I’m optimising my health now as my priority.  Plain yoghurt, kefir, berries, lots of green leafy veg, mushrooms, green tea too!

I’ve looked into links you have sent and really interesting.  I’ve downloaded huge chunk of Tim’s book on kindle.  It’s quite wordy but re reading helps.   My partner is clearly embracing what Dr Tim believes. 

Thank you again - I’m just soooo surprised u were only person response to my post.

• Big hug to you 

I’m a big fan of Professor Tim Spector as he bases his opinon on clinical trials and if the evidence changes, he’ll change his opinion. He admits his diet wasn’t good when he was a junior. I signed up for the Zoe Health Study app at the beginning of COVID and was one of the few million people reporting on it daily. Hi calm and factual weekly updates were a godsend. 

Hello @Bluebell22 

You are very welcome ? 

I honestly feel my life is better since BC than it was before. I think it has a lot to do with being given a “second chance” being faced with an illness which has the potential to shorten your life, kind of helps to focus on yourself and what you can control. I said to my husband I want to lose the word “should” from my vocabulary and try not to feel guilty, and I’m mostly succeeding  

I think Tim Spector is doing an amazing job at breaking through a lot of the thought processes that have dictated what we perceive as a healthy diet and weight and he has a number of other followers like Dr Rangan Chaterjee who advocates the same, so if you can’t necessarily follow what he says there are lots of other people around advocating the same. 

For me the real game changer was CBT; I had experienced CBT before having seen a therapist 20+ years ago for depression and then used it to stop smoking: it is really clever in the way it helps you to change how you think about things in such small subtle ways that you don’t even notice you are doing it! 
My reasoning was I knew what a healthy diet looked like (if we are honest we all do) the difficult bit is following it! I don’t feel like I am “on a diet” and I have found it so empowering to feel less guilty to eat what I want and enjoy every mouthful and still have a looser waistband ?

I really hope this helps you too in your post cancer recovery 

AM xxx

• Thanks for taking time to add a comment krtea.   I’m really trying to promote good health through diet and what I eat now.  (Sadly being diagnosed with  BC is why) .   You’ve mentioned Tim Spectors name.  That’s second time he’s been spoken about in two responses.   I definitely need to find/read more about about his views and theories especially as my partner been telling me about him (and practicing what Prof Spector discusses about diet) for a while now.  I’m still bit surprised not more responses to this Forum post.  Diet so important, at best of times, but with a BC disgnoses/treatment etc taking care of yourself through diet even more important.   Take care trea. Big hug.  
  • PS.  I am finding it hard to find a good source of protein that is vegetarian BUT not processed in one way of another.  Anyone have suggestions??

Hi AM.   Ah  thanks for your (2nd) reply.  Appreciated.   I envy your positive outlook around having/had BC.  I’m definitely looking into theories of Tim Spector.   Likely buy latest book  Spoon Fed as it’s 2022 and updated as reviews are (on Amazon) mainly v. positive.  I’ll look up Dr Chatertree too.  I want to eat as healthy as possible but understand how/what I can that’s not processed, natural and good for my inside as well as outside.     

I had CBT about 15yrs ago but I didn’t find it helpful (I think I didn’t ’click’ with the therapist and always being asked to fill in sheets) but so pleased for you it was helpful.  Take care AM.

Hi @Bluebell22 

I didn’t initially reply to this as I’m not vegetarian. 

I’ve been overweight for a long time , I lost some weight before surgery / rads last year but afterwards piled it on until I was heavier than I’ve ever been.I’ve worked hard over the last 6 -7 weeks and lost just over a stone but I’m also aiming to boost my immune system and stay cancer free .

I’m also a fan of Tim Spector - I particularly like what he has to say about the immune system and the majority of it being in the gut and the importance feeding it with fibre / friendly microbes . I’ve been following his recommendations in regard to eating a wider variety of plant based and femented foods - I have kombucha kefir and Kim chi every day. I’m working up to sauerkraut? . My friend who has also had breast cancer was my inspiration as she has taken the diet thing very seriously since her treatment last year and basically put me to shame.

I’ve been following the Reverse App ( 3 month subscription) which broadly recommends a hand sized amount of protein a fist sized amount of unrefined carbs and plenty of veggies at each meal. There are useful exercise plans on it as well . I found I still needed to log calories and nutrients on My Fitness Pal (I use the free version ). I’m also doing Time Restricted Eating - I try to fast for 13 - 16 hours overnight . It all sounds exhausting but it’s not actually - it’s sustainable. I’ve never been good at sustaining weight loss on any diet / fitness plan but there’s never been more at stake than there is now .

As well as lean meat , fish and eggs I’m eating a lot of lentils , I have tofu maybe once a week stir fried - I like Naked Tofoo which is GMO free . I’m not keen on tempeh though I might give it another shot as it’s a fermented food . I also have nuts and carbs that have protein like wild rice and quinoa.Broccoli contains protein ( who knew ?) 3.3gr per 100gr , I eat loads of it .

I take a calcium / vitamin D supplement as I find it hard to eat enough calcium without eating a ridiculous amount of fat .

I’m starting to see and feel the benefits though I still struggle a bit with motivation - especially when it comes to exercise .

Do you have any vegetarian friends who eat a good diet and can advise you on good quality veggie protein ? 

If anyone has any other advice / knowledge I also would love to hear it.

Hope this is helpful.

Joanne x

Hi JoanneN.  Thank you for taking time to reply to my post.  Appreciated and honestly so very helpful. 

Since my new regime this past week I’ve been eating loads of broccoli and other green/ vegetables like sprouts (frozen as not available fresh), kale, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, courgette,  courgettes and mushrooms.  Eaten plain yoghurt, Greek yoghurt (still not sure if low fat is a better all round choice re BC and bone health) and I’ve been eating frozen berries (especially blueberries)  too.   I still worry about protein and processed food. I used to eat lots tin beans like chickpeas but stopped as surely tinned or bottled food is processed in some way.  I thought Tofu as processed too.  Is it?  Are dried lentils OK then?  I’d never have thought twice about opening tins of mixed beans, chickpeas, kidney beans etc before but now I do.   

Ive also  been eating fruit (apples, grapes, peaches, pears) a lot more but someone said not good as turn to sugar.   Is that right?  What would Tim Spector say?

Tim Spectors name crops up again!  The latest book I see on Amazon is Spoon-fed (2022).  Do you or anyone else know if along with his theory talking and research findings there is more focused chapter/s about what to eat?  Something not too wordy and easy to understand.    If someone gave me a list of specific foods and best way to source them other than a tin, jar or in some cases a packet I’d happily take it.    A list too that shows what is NOT considered processed and has health benefits.   

I know its wanting to optimise health now to try and move forward positively regarding BC.  But finding solid information hard to source.  So the few responses in forum have been gratefully received.  I’ve a small circle of friends but not able to help diet wise 

I’ve had op in May not long started Letrazole and waiting radiotherapy and already feeling low mood coming back again  I’m so different in myself and how I feel to how the pre BC me was.  (I know nearly everyone will feel same).  To add to that I’ve been checking my blood pressure recently and can see it’s  high (never was before pills). So what do I do about that?    just feel if I can get eat the right optimising foods to be healthier inside and out (I enjoy cooking a lot - or used to!) and feel good in myself again I will be.  Thanks for listening to my “ranting”.  Big hugs to you JoanneN and everyone.   

Hi again @Bluebell22 

Yes its all a bit overwhelming isn’t it ? I remember my mood was all over the place when I first started Anastrozole but it did normalize after a few weeks -  so hang in there . When your radiotherapy is done you might consider doing a Moving Forwards course - it helped me to process everything and you get access to other resources and information. If there’s a Breast Care Support Group in your area that might be helpful too . I got some good advice at mine. 

Ok - back to diet . I like Naked Tofoo cos it’s organic ,they don’t use anything artificial to bind it either unlike some . You can Google it - ( I wouldn’t suggest using Google for anything to do with your BC though ) . To me it tastes better than other tofu I’ve tried but that’s just personal taste .

Erm… I remember Dr. Michael Mosley had a 3 part programme on BBC that might still be available on iPlayer . One of his 5 volunteers was a girl who was vegan - I can’t remember what it was called but he put 5 volunteers on his own weight loss / health programme for 3 weeks and they all did well. It might be worth trying to find it. He is the Fast 800 man - I wouldn’t recommend eating only 800 calories a day for 3 months as he does BUT he broadly agrees with Tim Spector on some things . One is definitely the importance of improving the gut microbiome by using fermented food and drink . Another is to avoid foods that have been made artificially fat free because they tend to be less filling and some nutrients are removed along with the fat and they then re- add them artificially . Removing the fat often affects the flavour so sometimes sweeteners and sugars are added as well. 

Foods that are naturally low in fat are ok as I understand it.

Have you thought about asking or have you been offered by your surgery to try an NHS weight loss course ? You get a lot of information on that and though I’ve relapsed I’m now using the information I got on that to help me now. One easy thing I learned is that if you aren’t sure how processed things are then look at the tin/ packet etc. and see how many ingredients there are and also which ones you recognize . 

Finally Bluebell I want to say be kind to yourself and don’t get too hung up on this right now - you can pick it up again later. You’re still adjusting to hormone treatment and you’ve got radio to come - many people eat optimally during treatment but not everyone does and you find your own way to get through it . This a long game we are playing here it’s good to get everything right but you don’t have to get it all right all at once.

Take care 

Joanne x

Thank you so much for caring and replying to me post.  I’m trying to put together all the information shared around diet, certain foods, resources etc. that you and others have shared to help my understanding (especially around Tim Spectors theory, fermented foods, gut health etc)  I am having a bit of a dip at the moment.  It feels like it’s one step forward two back, so your kind words of support (and the others who have responded to my post) have been and are so welcomed.  I wish there were a support group near me.  I  am sociable but only couple of friends. Big hug and thank you again. 

When it comes to yogurt, Greek or plain natural both work, but watch out for added sugars. Full-fat options can be good for you. Just keep an eye on portions. Tinned beans are cool. Just rinse 'em to cut down on sodium. Organic is great if you can swing it, but don’t stress too much if you can’t.
For cookbooks, I’d recommend checking out “Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give a F*ck” or “Oh She Glows” for some plant-based goodness. They’re not specifically focused on breast cancer, but they offer simple, healthy recipes that could be a good fit for your journey.
Also, if you’re still looking for more info, I came across https://fitnessown.com/a-deep-dive-into-supernatural-vr-can-it-really-help-you-lose-weight. Might have some extra insights to help you out.