Dixarit for the hot flushes

If anyone is interested, my GP has given me Dixarit for the hot flushes and I’m pleased to say, they actually work. I’m on Tamoxifen, so was ‘flushing’ every night.

They are ideal for women who cannot take HRT (not that women with BC can do anyway) but for anyone who is oestrogen positive they are absolutely fine.

25 microgram tables, two in the morning and two at night.

Linda

Hi Linda,what exactly is dixarit?Have never heard of it .do you know how it works?

I just googled it!!
I have most of the side effects from the tamoxifen! Constipation, decreased sex drive, nausea, hair loss and depressed mood etc. etc.
Think I migh stick with hot flushes.
OC x

Dixarit Clonidine is thought to reduce the responsiveness of small blood vessels to stimuli which would normally make them contract (narrow) or dilate (widen). This prevents the changes in the blood vessels of the brain which are associated with migraine, and thus prevents attacks. It also prevents the dilatation of blood vessels and subsequent increased blood flow to the skin, which causes hot flushes in post-menopausal women.

This medicine is used to prevent migraines and to treat menopausal flushing, though it is not fully understood how it works in these conditions.

It may take two to four weeks before this medicine is fully effective.

I only take a very low dose 25mg

i spent 7 months on clonidine, along with arimidex, this resulted in high blood pressure and funny turns, i am now on aromasin i still have the hot flushes, the high bp, but no more funny turns, so not sure which drug to blame for my reaction to it, yet saying that, i know many ladies who can take this drug without any adverse reaction, i just don;t seem to react to many drugs very well!
Alisonxx

hi linda
have u every taken two tab three times a day
karen

I take a dozen tablets a day, spread out from about lunchtime.

Hi,

I too am on this tablet for the hot flushes and have found it brilliant for me. I questioned it with my gyne doc who did the prescribing because i have low BP and this tablet is said to lower it, but he said it wouldnt lower it any further than it was. Im pretty “lucky” that i dont tend to suffer from to many SE. I take the 2 tablets 3times a day

Take Care

Leslee x

Hello

I take a packet of Clonidine a day, also called Dixarit. 16 tabs about 4 at a time as long as I can remember to take the blighters! I definitely DO notice a difference when I forget to take them.

Worth a try if the hotties are a bother. Also try a chillow in the hot weather.

One day, all this will be in the past … soon please.

My name is Eve and I’m 52 this September. Last summer I had really bad hot flushes and it really affected my quality of life. I could feel the flush come on and before I knew it, the sweat was pouring off me. This caused me so much embarrassment which then made the matter far worse. I lost my confidence completely and felt sure everyone could see the sweat on my face.

I asked my GP for help and she prescribed me Dixarit which i took 2 x 25 microgram pills in the morning and another two in the evening. I took these through the summer and by September I was down to 2 per day and I very rarely have to take them now ~ but they are always there if I need them. I swear by them and they have helped me get back to a normal way of life.

Thank Goodness for Dixarit xx

I have just started taking these and wondered how long they take to kick in?

Hi Jmck and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the shared experiences and support you will find here please feel free to call our helpliners for help with any queries or concerns you may have, lines open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

This is quite an old thread so please feel free to start a new one if users don’t reply here

BCC run lots of other support services which you may find helpful and you can read about these here:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

I have just neen put on dixarit and i am worried about all the side effects. I dont want to feel drowsy all the time.

I just started yesterday and i take 1 tablet twice a day and already ive noticed a huge difference. I had 2 mild hot flashes all day and normally i wud of had 30 severe hot flashes in a day and also sweated all night with 3 fans on and the window wide open.
Ive had these hot flashes for 18 1/2 years now and pretty much done with the profuse sweating and discomfort. To the point of wanting to jump off the bridge to get to the cold freezing water in the summer…it wud cool me off so good.
So looking forward to this medication to change my life.
Good luck with yours