Don’t know what to do

Hi there,

Gosh I can’t even believe I’m writing this! So I had some thickening in my right breast and got it checked out by a breast consultant who said it was just fibrous tissue. Then I just kept on having a weird feeling about it and decided to get it checked again which was last night. They gave me a mammogram and ultrasound and the radiologist said she’s going to take a biopsy. She basically said to the consultant that my biopsy looked ‘sinister’ from what she extracted and they’ve basically said there’s a good chance of it being cancer. I go back Monday for my results but I’m struggling to get out of bed today. I just feel like I’m in a nightmare. I’m only 41 with 2 young children. Preformatted text

1 Like

Hi @katied83 I’m so so sorry you’re in this situation. Anyone on this forum will tell you that waiting for test results, especially the preliminary biopsies, is hell. I have just popped on to say two quick things.

Firstly, a breast cancer diagnosis, whilst shocking, isn’t as catastrophic as it probably once was. This is due to the amount of research into it and the development of multiple effective treatments which means that the vast majority of women get through it, out the other side and live their lives. I know it doesn’t seem like it now but odds on, if it IS cancer, which you haven’t had confirmed yet, then you’ll be treated and you will move on. Breast cancer is no longer the Big C but I get it that it takes time and exposure to the world to realise that.

Secondly, if it does turn out to be BC then can I point you to the ‘Younger Women’ subcategory which you will find under ‘Connect to People Like Me’ main category. If new to navigating around the forum, just use the :mag: at the top right and put in Younger Women. You’ll find lots of support from those with young families in there. Big big hugs.

Hi katied83

Thank you for your post.

It sounds like you are going through a really distressing time, as you said, ‘it feels like l am in a nightmare’ and you don’t know what to do with yourself and it’s hard even getting up. It’s understandable as you are awaiting results following a breast clinic appointment.

As @Tigress says if it is breast cancer then you will be treated. It is best to hear what the doctor says next week. Having breast investigations and being told there is a chance that the breast problem you have may be cancer is very worrying and stressful. It can be hard to think straight and carry out normal activities and it can be difficult to know how to cope.

You mention you have young children. It may help to talk to close family and friends and tell them how you are feeling, and they may be able to help you.

Also, it may help as you are feeling so overwhelmed contacting your GP and talking through what is happening as they can sometimes help at this difficult time. They can offer support and medication that can be used in the short term.

Many people find it easier to talk to someone other than family or friends. Calling our free helpline - see the bottom of this page - offers you the chance to talk openly in a safe and confidential space, without worrying about upsetting or protecting those close to you. We’re used to hearing all sorts of reactions – nothing is surprising or unusual.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters so if language translation is required you can also call 0808 800 6000

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Helen

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.