Double Masectomy & Prosthesis fittings etc

Hi All,

I am rather confused of what my options are and how to go about finding out about this and getting measured and help etc… I’ve had nothing from my BCN or hospital about this.

Im having surgery on Tuesday. Its my Dads wedding on 8th June so I’d like to be able to wear a dress with breast prosthesis. I just don’t know where to start.

Thanks

@kat-jack
I was given a softie on day of surgery, then fitted for prosthesis about 6 weeks post surgery. Will those timings work for your dads wedding?
For me, I do prefer to go flat (altho weird on me as 58, only one side flat and the other saggy post 2 breastfed children :joy:).
Clothes seem to fall nice on flat or small chested women, but That’s just me and I guess depends on style.
Wishing you the best for surgery, Hope timings work out and you have great time at the wedding
X

Hi thanks for your reply, I’m planning on going flat nearly all the time not really fussed about wearing them all the time. I just want something for certain outfits and occasions and typically have a wedding coming up soon.

The hospital haven’t mentioned anything about any kind of fittings. They haven’t said anything to me at all about afterwards.

Hi kat-jack, Try Amoena website. They do prosthesis and bras with pockets as well as tops and swimsuits. Not sure where you live but their shop ( by appointment) is in Eastleigh near Southampton. They do a good online service as well and you can speak to one of their fitters online or visit their shop. They are quick with their orders and their return service is good. I had my mastectomy just 5 years ago and wear their bras and prosthesis. Good luck.
Sunshine 21.

At my first post-op check with nurse to check how I was healing that was about 7 days after my op, the nurse gave me a softie to wear. She also gave info about other types of prosthetics available and asked if I wanted an appointment for getting measured.

1 Like

Hi Thanks,

I phoned the Breast Cancer Now nurses today they were great and told me I should really of been given alot more info on what was going to happen with my Masectomy Op and Prothesis etc… as I’ve literally had nothing at all from them about anything including my op. I’m going to give my BCN a ring on Monday and find out what the process is at my hospital. Thank you all for your replies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi @kat-jack
Have you heard about knitted knockers?
Have a look at at knittedknockersuk.com.
It’s a registered charity with lovely ladies making different sizes. They give you extra filling so you make them just the shape and size you want. They are much lighter in weight than the silicone prosthesis.
Like you, I don’t have the need to use one often, but I do use the knitted one before the silicone.
I hope everything goes well for you x

2 Likes

Hi I have been using knitted knickers much more comfortable than nhs prosthesis
The aqua swimming ones are good as well
I like the softies as well , some days I go flat it’s easier but wearing certain dresses and tops need them . Good luck x