Double Masectomy surgery questions

Hi All,

I have a Double mastectomy booked on 16th April. Its at the day surgery centre. Just wondering if this is normal to go home right after surgery for a double.

Also how long did it take you to recover ive already had ny SLNB so its just the Double

Thanks
Xx

2 Likes

Hi ,sorry you haven’t had a response yet to your post . Just replying so hopefully someone with experience of a double mastectomy will spot your post and hopefully be able to answer your questions . Hope all goes smoothly for you .

1 Like

I’m only having a single mastectomy on 15th April but because I will have a drain it’s a definite overnight stay. I’ve already had some lymph nodes removed.

Maybe different surgeons do things differently.
Hope all goes well for you. x

Good Luck for the 15th xx

I have found out now that there are two different surgeies one with drains and one with some kind of glue they do inside the chest to prevent fluid build up. Im having that kind so i can go home after surgery.

I hope your ok, Im starting to get a bit nervous now but desperate to have my breasts and its horrid cancer removed from me.

I had to sit down and explain to my 5 year old today what was going to happen and how I’m going to look. She was really fab about it. I showed her some pictures of very happy smiling ladies with double mastectomies.

She was abit upset though as she was told that mummys naughty lump was going to go away from my Lumpectomy 6 weeks ago had to explain that i had other very naughty lumps so need more surgery. :cry:

2 Likes

Thank you Kat-jack.
Interesting about the 2 different surgeries.

My heart goes out to you having to explain to your 5 year old. It was hard enough telling my grown up children. I hope that your surgery goes well. It’s getting very close for us both now but it will soon be over and we’ll be on our way to being cancer free. Take care x

2 Likes

Hi Holly.52 how are you getting on after surgery on Monday?

I’m really sore today :weary: after my double yesterday can’t find a comfortable position to sleep :upside_down_face:

1 Like

So sorry that you are so sore and not able to sleep. I hope you find some relief soon.

I was discharged on Tuesday afternoon following 24 hours vomiting. Had a rough day yesterday with pain and slept most of the day on the sofa. As mine was only a single mastectomy I am able to sleep on my side although not my usual side. The drain is a pain and makes a noise and flashes all night.

I hope that you feel better each day and manage to get some sleep.

Thinking of you and sending a virtual very gentle hug. xx

1 Like

Hi Holly, sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough ride, and Kat I really hope you get some sleep soon.
I had single Mastectomy with tissue expander reconstruction implant on Monday 15 April

Sleep is a bit of an elusive little minx at the moment. I look like the princess and the pea with a mass of various pillows. The best buy so far has been the wedge foam pillow that allows me to sleep in bed raised up with my drains hanging down the side.

However I’ve been really suffering from constipation, nausea and bloating. I stopped taking the codeine to try to help the constipation, but I think the antibiotics are causing the constant nausea and cramps but obviously have to keep taking them.

It’s really hard right now, but I have to tell myself this will pass .

I’m wishing all of you wonderful warriors out there whatever stage you’re at a few hours of peaceful sleep.:heart:
Caron xx

Hiya, so sorry you’re so sore after your op. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to rest and recover whilst trying to protect your 5 year old.
I’m finding it hard enough to put on a brave face for my 15 year old daughter and 20 years old sons.
My single with reconstruction was Monday 15th, and I’ve found this wedge foam pillow that I can put at various angles to sit up or sleep on very handy.
I also use aromatherapy pillow spray, candles, music and even tried meditation apps for the first time to help calm my mind and distract from the pain.
Sometimes works, but not always ( hence typing at 4.30am!), but I reckon anything is worth a go .

I hope you get some rest, and a bit of escape from the pain soon.

Caron xx

This is the wedge pillow I got from Amazon, to enable me to sleep sitting up.
View order details

Add a review

Brand: lunvi

4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 61

Triangle Wedge Pillows Set for After Surgery, Acid Reflux, Reading in Bed, Back or Knee Support, Adjustable Folding Incline Cushion for Sleeping Memory Foam Pillow Wedge with Machine Washable Velvet

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all feeling a little better today.

I brought myself a memory foam v pillow and its been amazing. Still in lots of pain on my left side,right not too bad and having to take Codeine to control pain at night in the morning. I do however manage to sleep about 4 to 5 hours at night now.

My 5 year old is desperately wanting to hug me she keeps forgetting bless her so thats hard as she hust wants cuddles.