Double mastectomy but no reconstruction

This is my first post so hello everyone.


I will need a double mastectomy in a few months after my chemo has finished. I’ve got my head around having to have this done but I’m honestly not sure if I want to have reconstruction.

I’m worried if I don’t have them, I’ll regret it later (I know I can have them later but then will need to get the skin from somewhere else on my body which means more complicated surgery).

I’m wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and has any words of wisdom please.


Thank you

Hi Cat5

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences and advice you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share any concerns and thoughts you may with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information.

The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Discuss the skin issue with your surgeon, I had double mastectomy, and both implants had to be removed, eventually, Going to for a DIEP, but I have enough skin left over for my new boobs!

Hello Cat5. I had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction nine months ago. The surgeon tried to persuade me to have recon but i just knew that I didn’t want it. BCNurse said that the concern was that I might regret it later. I was 62 and knew that I wouldn’t. Initially I had Rmx and skinsaver implant but they then discovered cancer in my other breast. This ruled out DIEP which was what I was going to opt for and I knew that I would not want permanent implants…although lots of people do and are fine.
I have prosthesis and wear them but I often go without and wear loose tops and/or scarves. I have no regrets. I don’t know how old you are and whether that would make a difference to how you feel. I also have a wonderful husband - 45 years married.
The surgeon was reluctant to do the op but the ONC and BCN were supportive.
Good luck…whatever you decide…x

Thank you for your replies - I’m ‘only’ 48 (dont get to say only in regards to my age often!) but the more I think about it, the more I dont want the reconstruction.


Thank you, other people’s experiences are so helpful, I really appreciate the sharing.

Cat - hi not sure if you are still reading this thread but you sound similar to me - I am 48, I was diagnosed just a few weeks ago - left boob is my main problem area, today I went in and they did an ultasound on my right as they found some issues that needed looking after the MRI - anyway prior to today, I was to have been booked in to have surgery tomorrow, now I see the specialist Wednesday and find out dates/times.  As the cancer in the left boob was quite agressive I asked/spoke about a double masectomy the other week - consultant was not so keen - from today where the right is looking dodgy around a 3 from scan terms I think I will go ahead re a double masectomy.  I’m also 48 - I know I need to follow operation with chemo and would not get a reconstruction straight away.  As you last posted in Jan I was wondering how you were now getting on - hope you are well and recovery is well in hand for you but I’d be keen to hear first hand how you felt and now feel - thanks

Hi Books
I am still here! And welcome.
I am no further forward surgerywise, I am having my chemo first, and am about 3/4 of the way through. My surgery will probably be in mid-May. I have an appointment with my surgeon in a couple of weeks and I guess will need to have made some sort of a decision by then.
My feelings haven’t changed that much, I still don’t think I want reconstruction but as most people do have it, it’s hard to find information and advice from those that haven’t. (I know it’s such a personal decision and everyone is different). Partof my dilemma is that so many people DO have reconstruction, I wonder if there is something I’m missing or not considering it iykwim.
Please feel free to PM me if you’d like to ‘talk’ more and hope your meeting goes well on Wednesday.
cat x

Hi Cat, I had my MX over 2 years ago now and thought I would be happy living with 1 boob, I then made the decision about a year ago that I wanted my other boob removed and double reconstruction (scheduled for 4 weeks time). What I want to say really is take time out, there’s no hurry and make the decision once you’ve got all other treatment out of the way, take care x