Driving after lumpectomy

Hi, I’m new on here and have a lumpectomy scheduled for the 20th November. Stage 1, grade 3 ductal.
The surgeon will take a sentinel node biopsy at the same time but I just wanted to know how soon I might be capable of driving? It’s the right side but I’m also a carer so quite important for me. Thanks

2 Likes

I was told two weeks by my surgeon, but I felt I could drive sooner, you have to be able to do an emergency stop.

1 Like

Same with me 2 weeks they said but obviously will depend on how you feel , arm movement etc .Best to get it confirmed by your surgeon and hopefully the nurses here will advise .

1 Like

I was also told at least 2 weeks. If anything happens, your insurance wouldnt pay out x

Welcome to the forum @alex2 - as this is the Ask the Nurses section of the forum they will close this thread after they reply . If you want to chat with other forum members maybe also post in the Recently diagnosed with breast cancer section or Surgery section . Best of luck with your op .

1 Like

Hi alex2

Thank you for your question about driving after surgery.

Your treatment team will usually offer you advice on when to return to driving. It will depend on your surgery and your recovery. As @chillout365, @Jill1998 and @looby2 mention this can often be around a couple of weeks.

You need to feel comfortable and safe to do so, as well as being confident that you’re able to drive normally. A small, thin cushion may be helpful if the seatbelt is uncomfortable or rubs. You may also want to check with your insurance provider that you are covered.

You mention you are also a carer, and you may be interested in our booklet Your operation and recovery.

Getting information and support is important and can really help. We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer. They include face to face and online courses and events.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can often be helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.