EC chemo side effects

I had my first EC chemo just over a week ago and had terrible side effects. A couple of hours after chemo I started with nausea and vomiting which was every few hours for nearly 2 days. I was assessed and given more anti-sickness meds. I also had a high temperature and ended up in hospial for 4 nights and was given fluids and IV antibiotics. I also suffered with diarrhoea. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and if the second cycle was any better. I will be given stronger anti-sickness meds.

1 Like

This happened to me and with chemo number 4 when it changed, I spoke to my oncologist and he lowered the dose for number two and then again for number 5.
I had all the side effects also, and ended up in hospital both times for a week each time with a number of things including sepsis…speak to the nurses or your oncologist.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Poor you! Hopefully it won’t be so bad. The nurse said she will speak to the oncologist about having stronger anti sickness meds next time

1 Like

Good luck with your treatment.x

1 Like

Thank you! X

1 Like

I had terrible nausea and vomiting with EC (though not as bad as yours sounds!), and once they found the right anti sickness medicine for me, it really did help. Took a couple of different tablets to get ones that worked, but persevere, and ask for different medication if you need it. Best of luck!

Hi @northerngirl55, sorry you’re having a rough time on EC. I had 4 x fortnightly cycles a few months ago and found EC very tough. I had to try a few different sickness meds and the one that worked for me in the end was diazapam (other side effects though which made me very sleepy). I had two a&e trips during the weekends as I developed a chest infection which kept spiking my temperature and took a while to shake. Overall I had about 6/7 days of side effects after each cycle (night sweats, hot flushes, exhaustion, bone pains as well as the nausea) but was told others don’t always react this badly so hope with some further tweaks to medication your next one is better for you too x

Hi @Cali Thank you for your reply and the advice. That’s good to hear. Hopefully i will find something that works. Hope you are doing ok now.

1 Like

Hi @ali2023 thank you for your reply. Sounds like you had a really bad time of it and hope that you are doing ok now. I wouldn’t have thought that diazapam would help with sickness. Hopefully I will find something that works for me. Just 2 more EC (3 weeks apart) then weekly paclitaxel which i am hoping won’t be as bad x

1 Like

I definitely found paclitaxel much much easier so hope you will too. Good luck with your treatment x

That’s good to hear. Thank you. Hope you are doing ok and have finished your treatment x

1 Like

The first 2 EC were not so bad, the third one has been awful…ive been sick sinve which has now been 3 weeks.

I hsve had sickness. Diarrhoea , oral thrush… I only have one more of this type, but may speak to the Oncologist to see if the dosage can be lowered…i have never felt so ill.

Have also had up and down temperature from 38 to 39…

Good Luck

Sorry to hear that you have been so ill and hope you feel better soon and your final EC is not as bad. Take care.

I’m not so bad, thanks! Finished my active treatment, now on Tamoxifen for 7-10 years probably. Worse thing for me right now is the hot flushes/night sweats.

Hope you’re managing ok with the chemo. It will be over sooner than you think, and you can celebrate :slight_smile:

@Cali it must be a relief to have finished your active treatment and wish you all the best. I keep telling myself this is only temporary but i have anxiety so worry about everything! Will definitely be celebrating once it’s all over! Take care

1 Like