EPSOM SALTS

I just read on an american ld site (lymphnotes.com) that many ladies there have bathed their limb in epsom salts and found a good reduction. They say because the toxins are drawn from the skin. Anybody else heard or tried this?
Alot of the people there talk about leg ld and sit in the bath with it in the water. Nobody has posted anything negative there and i think it was Dr recommendations.
Where do you epsom salts from?

Hi Positivethinker. I used to bathe in Epsom salts when I had a nasty allergy to something - really helped. You can get them online from Amazon among other places, and from any decent chemist I think. All the sites talk about thoem drawing toxins out of the body… go for it! GIJane

Hi there, I was recommended Epsom Salts by my reflexologist. old fashioned chemists tend to stock them, I got mine from a traditional chemist rather than a chain. They actually had them in the window believe it or not. I just throw in a couple of spoonfuls and enjoy. Adi

Best value on E-bay

Not sure about the medical claims, but they do soften water and are supposed to relax muscles. Get food-grade ones and you can even drink them as a liver cleanse…

This is a message from the Breast Cancer Care Clinical team to say that using Epsom Salts (Magnesium) in the bath is not usually used in the treatment of lymphoedema as there is no research evidence to suggest that this is helpful. Care also needs to be taken as hot water may also increase the blood supply to the area and it may make the swelling worse.

Before using any products either oral supplements or salts it is always worth checking them out with your local pharmacist/doctor. Oral Magnesium may also interact with certain antibiotics and blood pressure tablets.

If you would like to discuss any of this further, you are welcome to phone our Helpline and speak with one of our experienced nurses or specially trained workers. The freephone number is 0808 800 6000 (for Text Relay prefix 18001), Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 9am to 2pm.

Best wishes

Thanks for putting that up Lucy.

Also this is from the Lance Armstrong Foundation and lists the dangers of liver flush/cleansing and fasting.

"It’s said to get excess stones out of your gallbladder, and is even part of some alternative cancer therapies, but you should proceed with caution when doing a liver flush or liver cleanse. Like many “detox” diets, the benefits of a liver flush are unproven, and it can even be dangerous to people with existing gallstones or for those who choose it over conventional treatments for cancer.

Doesn’t Prevent Cancer
According to the American Cancer Society, some alternative medicine practitioners recommend yearly liver flushes to supposedly rid the body of excess toxins, which they claim can reverse the process by which cancer develops. But cancer develops and grows because of DNA mutations, not toxins, the Society says. A liver flush has no proven effects on preventing or treating cancer, and delaying conventional cancer treatment can have serious health consequences.

Kidney Cleanse - Dr Clark Get Free DVD for Kidney Cleansing By Dr Hulda Regehr Clark DrClark.net
Sponsored Links
Gastrointestinal Problems
A liver flush has various gastrointestional side effects, include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, according to the American Cancer Society. Although the flush is said to help clear your body of gallstones you didn’t know you had, it may actually have an unintended effect on existing gallstones – the flush can cause your gallbladder to contract, causing gallstones to get stuck in your bile duct.

Liver Function
Although the liver flush is not a complete fast, it does involve some caloric and nutritional restriction. Columbia University reports that fasting actually inhibits liver function by depriving the body of the nutrients it needs to manufacture enzymes which the liver uses to detoxify your body. A healthy, balanced diet is the best way to ensure your liver is functioning at its best, along with various phytochemicals found in cruciferous vegetables, citrus fruits, garlic, onions, shallots, leeks and cumin. Focus on getting enough of these fruits and vegetables instead of on unproven, potentially dangerous cleanses for a healthy liver"

I know we’re all grown up and make our own decisions,but thought it was worth posting :slight_smile:

Melxx

post deleted

I feel I do have to point out that I would never drink salty water as a liver cleanse, (cos think maybe it would be straight back up again)and would only bathe with arm in tepid water, but it seems to have positive effects on people on the lymphnotes.com site.
It is to draw the toxins.
I am in spain at the moment, so getting hold of the stuff could be tricky. Anybody know the spanish word for Epsom? I will try asking for “sal de epsomo”.

N.B This experiment could be a long time taking off!!!

Try asking for magnesium sulphate or MgSO4.

finty x

okay will do. That makes sense and will come across alot better…lol
Thank you

Mag-Sulph paste (you can buy a little 50g tub from B**ts the chemist and most competitors) has been traditionally used to draw excess fluid away from the swelling that happens with minor skin lesions eg spider bites, nettle-rash or zits when the inflammation is giving more grief than the original bite/spot, so applying a small amount maybe half the size of a pea under a little dressing for 48hours would make a big difference for things like that. It works. Not used so much now that we tend to attack everything with antihistamines and antibiotics, but it’s purely external and local to the problem and very cheap and easy to use. Simple osmotic pressure of a concentrated salt solution outside, pulling the fluid out. I can’t imagine plastering your whole arm in it though! And definitely if i was to get cellulitis from having those same spider-bites, zits etc, on top of my lymphoedema, I would not rely on it at all, I would be looking for full antibiotics and all the best modern treatment!

edited to add: of course, if it’s a bank holiday weekend or several days hike to the nearest doctor, and you have some in the fridge or your first aid box, you can get started… Laughing as I think about trying to explain it abroad, the more usual use for Epsom salts taken internally is to deal with constipation. You know we english are so fixated with the weather and our regular bowel habits!

Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) used by vets in poultices to draw out toxins from infected wounds in horses. If it good enough for a race horse, then it’s good enough for me. The cheapest place I’ve found to buy them is in my local tack shop. 1.5 kilos for £6.95. Decant into pretty jar, add essential oil to cottonwool and put in jar to scent and use in bath. Not sure I’d use them at 100% internally but Andrews Liver Salts contain 17.4%.

Have a friend who is an equine vet.