Examestane & Hot Flushes

Hi

After taking Arimidex since Feb 2010 my Onc has changed me to Examestane which I have been taking for 2 and 1/2 weeks. ( I am 52 but had a hysterectomy 9 years ago, so post menopause). While on Arimidex I had lots of aches and pains in my lower back and knees and ankles together with awful hot flushes when embarrassingly my face and neck just drips. The aches and pains seem better so far but the hot flushes are still as bad…if not worse. Nights are not too bad as long as I keep a fan on, window open and keep flinging my arms and legs out from under the duvet. I do wake up often but that I can stand. It is the horrors of ‘dripping’ in front of work colleagues, or while in a queue at the shops etc etc. I have been taking 20mg of Fluoxetine for the past year and have tried Evening Primrose Oil at my ONC’s suggestion but neither of these seem to help. I have read that Sage tablets can help some women but not sure if I can take with the Examestane. Does anyone suffer in the same way and has anyone tried Sage with any effect?

Hopefully yours, Lyn xxx

Hi lyn

I am posting a link to the BCC publication ‘Menopausal symptoms and breast cancer’ which you may find useful to read:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/treatment-and-side-effects/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/17/

Please also call our helpline for further support and information on 0808 800 6000, weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care
Lucy

Hi i have been taking exemastane for a year ( i am 54 now) dx at 51 had tamoifen for 2 1/2 first. did find the flushes came fast and furious at first they have eased off a bit i may only have 3 or 4 during the day but i still get hot at night. i do get alot of aches and pains but i am trying to do as much exercise as i can and this helps. i have been trying cherry juice from holland and barratt for the aches and although quite expensive does seem to help, not tried amything else. i do find it hard on this drug but i am keeping going with the knowledge that it is helping keep BC away and have found my new normal.

hugs Annie
X