Exemestane and Zolodex newbie - help!

I’m going to start on exemestane and zoladex soon, and I feel pretty nervous. I’m hugely grateful to be able to have thos treatment but I’m not sure what to expect. How bad are the side effects?
I know everyone is different but I’d love to hear experiences to get a sense.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve been on that drug combination for 5 months. I have mild holt flashes and stiff joints, but nothing that impacts my quality of life. I take my examestane tablets in the evening. Make sure you exercise regularly, it really helps! Good luck =)

1 Like

Thanks @Nat1984 Were the side effects more intense when you first started or has it been pretty consistent?

It’s been pretty consistent. I was more tired before, but I was coming from chemo and also started on Olaparib, so the fatigue could be coming from there.

1 Like

Hi
I’ve been on this combo for over a year now. At the beginning I was devastated that I would be forced into menopause but now to be honest it’s pretty much all over and done with. I don’t get any hot flushes any more, I was having one a day at about 8pm, and I will say my sex drive went down a lot but this was probably due to how I felt about myself and the anxiety I felt over my treatment.
I don’t seem to have any side effects from the meds at all. I would say all of my side effects were a symptom of menopause and not the treatment.
I do take supplements for menopause and joints however and these do seem to help.

1 Like

I am really pleased to have found this thread. I am having my first Zoladex injection on Monday. I am currently on Tamoxifen - I started it 6 weeks ago. But if I tolerate the Zoladex I might be moved on to an AI.
The Tamoxifen has been fine but I am nervous about being plunged into a forced menopause. I am 42.
This thread is encouraging. I am wondering whether I will be able to manage work ( as a teacher- part time but still quite intense) and my everyday life with two young children.

How has it been for you @eb13 ? I am having my first Zolodex injection today - in the waiting room now! Nervous!

Hi, I had my first injection two weeks ago and they said it would take at least two to four weeks to experience side effects . I found the injection did hurt when they did it but I found it bearable and the pain went away quickly. I am hoping that it’s like that each time but if not I am going to start using numbing cream like others have recommended.
How did the injection go for you?