Exhaustion after diep

Hi

I had a double mastectomy and diep 10 weeks ago and I get so so tired and worn out so quickly was just wondering how others were doing. Mine was prophylactic so I have not had to deal with any treatments like so many of you either.

thanks 

SL x

Hi SL, I had my single DIEP around the same time (29 August). I’m still very tired - ok I know I’m up at silly o’clock today, back pain is keeping me awake.

I’m into my 4th week back at work and back to normal hours, I had a phased return which I thought was not necessary but it was definitely worth it.

I can’t believe it’s taking this long to recover and my husband thinks I’m faking it now. I read somewhere that it takes a week per hour of surgery to recover from the anaesthetic so as it was a 9-10 hour op for me that seems about right.

I’m doing a bit of light yoga, swimming and dog walking and tend to be exhausted afterwards but think I’m the long term I’m better with doing the exercise.

I think we just have to accept that we need to pace ourselves and don’t expect too much too soon.

These shorter dark days don’t help much either!

Be kind to yourself x