EXPANDER

I had an expander fitted after the mastectomy on 18th April I have seroma and am still in a lot of pain. Has anyone else had the expander fitted can you give me any advise. I feel like asking for it to be removed at the moment

Dear topsy111

Welcome to the BCC forum but I’m sorry you are in such pain. I’m sure other members will soon be along to offer you some support.

You could also give our Helpline a call for some information and support and just to talk things over. The number is 0808 800 6000. Opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

I had an expander put in last March (2012). I do remember it feeling really quite uncomfortable and I had a little fluid build up but not enough for them to aspirate it. There were times I just wanted to rip it off my chest!! So it probably is normal to feel the way you do but perhaps check with your bcn. It is quite uncomfortable for a day or do after each ‘top up’ but then again my hospital used to do quite big fills each time compared to others I’ve read about.
Eventually I got used to it but it can take time. I’m still aware of mine, it’s very firm and doesn’t move much. As I had rads, I cant just have an implant replacement and will be having a tram flap recon hopefully in the next few months.
Hang on in there, it will get better, just yet another thing to contend with on this bc trail.
take care,
Gaynor xx

Thank you very much Gaynor that was very helpful Elaine x

Hi there, I am new to the site and new to having the expander! I had my mastectomy on the 14th May 2013 and I am due in this coming Wednesday for my first “fill”. I had to have a lymph clearance so I am still sore so not looking forward to getting the fill but I am very much aware of it and can feel the outline under my skin; it feels like I can feel the ridge all the way around…not sure if that is normal or not?

Karen
x

Karen I had bilateral mx and expanders 4 weeks ago. There is nothing to it they just stick a needle in the port no worse than a blood test and then with a syringe put solution in. I only had 40 mls as my surgeon would rather see me weekly and do it slowly. Yes the ports are uncomfortable and protrude but I am just beginning to get used to them now. Hope it goes ok for you and we will soon be the proud owners of two boobs

Wendy x x