Eyesight affected by radiotherapy?

Hi All!

Started 5 sessions of radiotherapy on 3/1/23 and noticed my eyesight started to be a bit blurry when reading close up over the weekend, after 3 sessions. Not sure if it’s connected to the radiotherapy or not. Has anybody else experienced this and did you find it improved once the radiotherapy stopped?
Thanks and best wishes to you all.xx

1 Like

It could be due to dehydration from the radiotherapy , try upping your water intake. Best also mention it to the radiographers they may check this out with the radiology doctor for you .

1 Like

I had terrible blurred vision while on radiotherapy l have a problem with my eyes so I went to opticians but I was advised by my breast care team not to change my glasses , because chemotherapy could also effect the eyes. So I had a eye test and was told my eyes were very dry and was advised to get some moisturiser drops for eyes which I did to be honest they are now a lot better blurred vision now gone but they still feel gritty so I am just carrying on with drops. But do mention it to your breast care team . I finished my radiotherapy end of November and chemotherapy the end of October

1 Like

Hi @Nellby73

I was going to say that if it doesn’t get better then please get some help . As well the suggestions above if you have fatigue after the radiotherapy that might cause some blurred vision . There is probably nothing wrong but eye problems need to be acted on.

Joanne x

1 Like

Hi Nelby

I am interested to read this as I had the same but on visiting the optician there were no significant issues with my eyes.

Best wishes

Bookie

Am on chemo and I can say my vision changed but I think it got better at least during the weekly chemo treatment. Could be the steroids not sure. Noticed I would leave my glasses every where not needed them as often as before. Could also be easily link to not be on computer and blue light every day.
I had developed blepharitis post COVID last year which I had managed to clear but with cancer and loosing eye lashes and everything else being dry it came back.
Using the fake tears helps, really good eye lid hygiene and hot compress or mask help me (optase) I am going to get my eyes checked in a couple of weeks but i suspect they wouldn’t want to make any adjustments until chemo is finished.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I thought it was because I was fatigued at first, as I had issues with my eyes during chemo but it improved in the third week and has steadily got better since I finished it in September. It deteriorated over the weekend even when I felt a bit less tired. I have my last radiotherapy session tomorrow followed by my review, so will definitely mention it to them, and my breast care nurse too.
I have been trying to stay hydrated but will definitely try the eye drops if it doesn’t improve over the next week or so. I had great vision and hearing before chemo and radiotherapy and now they’re both struggling. Not sure if the deteriorations will be permanent or not, only time will tell.
Best wishes to all of you.xx

I use occufresh or viscotears, if that’s helps…I would hope the side effects are only temporary. The hearing straight post chemo also got better now that you mentioned it, just for that week so can only be steroids/chemo related. I listened to the TV around 35/40 but straight after chemo it’s more like 16/20 and I hear v well :woman_shrugging:t3:
Yes so mention it to nurses and get it checked!
Can’t wait for my eyelashes to grow back as well it will help. I put also a tiny tiny bit of vaseline around the bottom of my eyelids hoping it will catch the dust (works for nose and allergy so why not)
All the best :smiling_face:

In 2019 before I got BC I had a central retinal vein occlusion - initially I put the changes in my vision down to migraine but when the migraine had gone I covered each eye in turn and realised that the problem was in my left eye only.

The cause was undiagnosed high blood pressure made worse by stress and Ephedrine in my cold remedy . Later I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnoea for which I now have CPAP and which may also have a been a cause. I was tested for diabetes and high cholesterol as well .
I don’t want to scare you as you have enough on your plate and it does sound as though it’s treatment related ( particularly as you had it during chemo) but to reiterate if it doesn’t improve get help and consider other potential causes.

Also if you are on Tamoxifen there is a small risk of developing eye problems that can affect your vision.

With love and hoping that your sight and hearing improve
Joanne. X

Hi
I had 5 sessions in late November and my right eye in particular was very dry - cancer was right sided. I got eye drops over the counter in the end. Also developed eczema too. Was surprised that no eye protector was offered but at the time the whole thing is so daunting. Teeth also suffered and my dentist who has also had radiotherapy suggested a higher fluoride toothpaste as radiotherapy affects saliva and in turn enamel. It does get better with time.

Hmm I would get an eye test but check with your team when,
My eyes are weirdly improving in one with astigmatism, but I get eye strain alot, warm compress helps, I get dry eyes ,so use eye drops,
I had the works, surgery/ chemo/ radiotherapy