Family breast Cancer research

Me and my mum are also going through breast cancer treatment at the same time for the same hormone positive cancer. My mum diagnosed 2017 had lumpectomy and radiotherapy now has a secondary breast cancer in her lung. Me diagnosed June hormone positive had mastectomy August and planned chemotherapy lymph nodes positive. We have had genetic testing done and waiting for results. My sister has now been put on early screening. How many breast clinics treat mothers and daughters at the same time ? It can’t be that often and does it offer more research opportunities to look at both ?

3 Likes

Hi.

I’m so sorry that you and your mum are going through this.

My mum has had breast cancer twice (around 20 years apart) different breasts one hormone positive one hormone negative. My nan (her mum) sadly died of breast cancer before I was born.

They are the strongest family Breast cancer links but there are others.

My mum has a sister who hasn’t had breast cancer yet and my sister hasn’t yet, despite being older than me, weighing more drinking more etc.

I look a lot like my mum and maybe even more like my nan who died. Where as my sister looks more like my dad’s side.

So I always thought I’d be the one to get breast cancer rather than my sister.

So, I’m wondering if you’re like your mum (think you have her genes etc).

I have a daughter who’s 9 and hate it when people tell me she’s my double for that reason.

My mum had genetic testing years ago and they haven’t found the gene. I had it a few months ago and they still can’t find the gene.

When I was diagnosed my surgeon felt the same as me, there is a gene we just haven’t found it yet.

My friend has a similar situation and they have found her gene causing it.

1 Like

My Mum and I have had exactly the same breast cancer. Even the same breast. We have finally had genetic screening which didn’t show anything. Mum’s oncologist believes it is genetic and like the previous poster, they haven’t identified it yet. My sister has early screening and is on tamoxifen. Best wishes.

1 Like

Edp I think we are the people that they really need to investigate and do studies on (those with a clear genetic link that they haven’t found).

I read that there is about 95% of a person’s genetic code that they don’t understand yet. When my mum first had breast cancer the BRCA gene hadn’t been discovered yet and I think they were saying then that breast cancer wasn’t genetic (eg is 1/7 of the general population)

So sorry there are so many of us are going through this will family members. My mother was diagnosed aged 29 and died aged 38 when I was 8. I was diagnosed this year aged 46. I’ve always known I would get the news one day and bizarrely when I was told, there was an element of relief - at least it wasn’t hanging over my head anymore and I could just get on with it. I look very, very much like my mam, even down to having moles in the same places :rofl:

My oncologist is fighting for me to have the gene test; if I’d been 45 when diagnosed I would have automatically qualified for testing due to the family history but I’ve missed the cut off by a year. I definitely think it’s genetic, which terrifies me as I have two girls aged 30 and 28. I would gladly have BC ten times over if it meant they wouldn’t get it. They’re going to be seen in the family history clinic but I’m really hoping I get accepted for the gene test as if it’s positive the oncologist said my girls should be given the test too.

Hi louisea77

Thanks for your post.

It sounds as though you’re having a difficult time having to cope with your own diagnosis of breast cancer and your mum’s secondary breast cancer.

Whilst we know that most breast cancers are not inherited, as your situation and that of @notdoneyet and @edp show, some people with a family history do develop breast cancer that may be related to a gene alteration. In some cases, a genetic alteration is not found, but as @edp suggests this could be because a gene alteration hasn’t been discovered yet.

It’s unclear how many clinics treat mother and daughters at the same time as this data is not readily available. The charity Makes 2nds Count is dedicated to research and education for people living with secondary breast cancer so you could contact them to see if there is any specific research looking at breast cancer in mothers and daughters. You could also talk to your treatment or genetic team to see if there are any research trials that are suitable for you and your family. This may depend on the results of your genetic testing, as all clinical trials have strict guidelines as to who can take part.

If the results of your genetic testing confirm a gene alteration, your genetics team will discuss what options are suitable for you and your sister to consider.

At difficult times like this, it can be helpful to talk to other people who are outside of your family and friends. We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has a diagnosis of primary breast cancer and secondary breast cancer that you and your mum may be interested in. They included face to face and online events and more information about these can be found on the links above.

Our helpline is available for you, and your mum and sister if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Vic

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.