Fast growing large lump.

Hi, I’m new to this but thought I’d share my experience so far.

I’m 31 with 2 amazing children 7yrs and 2yrs.

In early Feb I felt some minor skin irritation under my left armpit which I thought was a reaction to my deodorant but I believe it was the beginning of my journey of worrying!

8th March – my left boob was really tender, painful it felt like I had an infection similar to mastitis.

9th March – phoned Dr’s as pain was increasing, got an appointment that day (I know I’m lucky). Dr        examined me and couldn’t feel anything of concern, he advised me to take ibuprofen but to come back if anything changed.

12th March – I felt the lump, it was quite big but flat just left of my nipple extending outwards.

14th March – I went back to Dr’s who put in a 2 week referral to Breast Screening

24th March – I had an examination and the consultant could feel what I was concerned about so sent me to have an ultra sound which didn’t show anything! Her letter back to my GP said it is a 7x3cm well defined lump but the imaging hadn’t shown any evidence of worrying changes. She booked me a follow up appointment for 8 weeks’ time but to contact if anything else changes.

8th April – I see what appears to be light bruising over the lumpy area.

10th April – I notice that the lump has grown it is now extended over the top part of my breast and if I stand sideways you can see it bulging! Also have a small red patch over area.

11th April – I phoned the consultants secretary and explained the changes, I was lucky to find that they were running a clinic closer to my home that day and could fit me in at 3pm.

3pm – I have my consultant appointment and he is quite dismissive as to why I am here so soon after last ultrasound which showed nothing. He sends me off for another ultrasound but I feel it is only to get rid of me.

During ultrasound the guy performing the imaging shows me a large area in the breast which is unusual he shows me the area above is inflamed and says he would like to perform a biopsy but send me for a mammogram first.

As I’m waiting in the room for a mammogram, the nurse has to go and get me added to the system I notice the dismissive consultant and the guy doing the ultrasound having a hushed conversation in the hall and they look at me (are they talking about me??!!).

Back in the ultrasound and I have a core biopsy. He took (I think) 2 samples from lump area and 1 from my lymph nodes (which sent a shock wave up arm and tingled afterwards. My arm now feels heavy like I’ve had an injection in the arm, has anybody else experienced this?).

 After the biopsy I was taken to their ‘quiet room’ where the consultant and a nurse came in and said that whatever ‘it’ is has shown on the mammogram and the ultrasound and is completely different from 2 weeks ago. He is also a lot nicer!  They set me an appointment for the following Monday 18th to get my results.

The internet has helped and probably hasn’t helped at the same time with my worry! This ‘thing’ has grown so quickly the consultant is now being nice and it has shown on the mammogram, which in my research, due to my age is not expected. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Thanks for reading.

Hi hoxroxbox, 

Welcome to the forum but I am sorry that you are here and going through this anxious time. Our users are incredibly supportive and I am sure will be along to offer support soon. 

In the meantime, please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about your appointment and results and be able to help answer questions you may have. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm 

Best wishes, 


It does seen strange that the lump hadn’t shown on the ultrasound but Im pleased they have taken it seriously for you and biopsied this time. I had a definite 3cm lump, one smaller and enlarged lymph node (although I only originally could feel 1) I’ve had 2 sets of biopsies due to the first one being benign but showing different on the mammogram. I was advised to stay away from google too as I was driving myself crazy!! My little one is 6 all sorts of things go through your head and it’s hard to focus on anything else! My second result showed increased concern but still not malignant so its being removed on 4th May for further testing. They are treating mine as an abnormal looking fibroadenoma at the moment but pleased they are being thorough.

Try and enjoy your weekend (hard I know) and Im sure your little treasures keep you busy! Good luck for Monday and let us know how you get on. Kay xx