Fear of Radiotherapy after effects

My better half had a double lumpectomy, (one tumour was HER2?)then a really bad experience with chemotherapy as the 8x doses of paclitaxol were to strong and caused problems, she was due to have 12 but because of the problems they stopped. She is on a 18 dose course of Herseptin of which she has had 5, also on 1 a day letrazol ( which make her feel constantly sick). She is just about to start radiotherapy and is fearful of the possible after effects ( scared lungs etc) to the point of taking a chance and not undergoing radiotherapy. Please excuse any misspelling and this is not a moan as the treatment/ people have done their best. What should I do ? Encourage the radiotherapy , just support her decision? Anyone had same issues if so what outcome? Thanks in advance. Alby

Hi Alby ,I can totally understand how your partner feels ,cancer treatment can be exhausting and grind you down emotionally and physically and she sounds like she has had a really rough ride .Most people find radiotherapy a walk in the park compared to chemotherapy but as it’s coming at the end of a very long journey I can understand her struggling with it .Most people actually have very few side effects - fatigue and a sore boob being most common .They are very precise in the area they treat to avoid causing damage and measure you up and position you exactly each time .The benefits of radiotherapy in terms of helping stop a re-occurrence are pretty high .Would your partner benefit from some support from others going through  the same thing at the same time - I know I found that really helpful .There are radiotherapy monthly threads in the going through treatment section .You cant pressure her to go through with the treatment but you could help encourage her by being super supportive( you sound like you are )  and say what can I do to help you get through those 3 weeks - cook ,drive ,treats etc - anything she needs to get through .I found having a friend come with me to some sessions helped and have a nice lunch /coffee after the session so I had something to look forward to .Hope all goes well .Jill x

Hey Alby,

reading ur post it sounds like ur other half has really been through it.

all i can say is i had 15 radiotherapy sessions and compared to my 12 paclitaxel it really is so doable.  Apart from a little tiredness and a slight pink warm boob at the end it wasnt at all bad.

drink LOADS and moisturise daily,  i did twice a day and again when i came out after my session.  I used AVEENO right through and my skin was good.

it really is nothing to be scared about,  apart from when they do their measurments and you get your dots on ur skin, this will be ur longest appt.  After that u are in and out usually within 5 m

Hi Alby

Like your wife, I was wiped out by paclitaxel and was given a brief respite before moving onto radiotherapy in late May rather than April. I can honestly say it went against all expectations. The hardest thing was getting into the right position when my scar and muscles were a bit tight. I had a tiny itchy patch on my chest after 9 treatments and that was it. I did get sore muscles about two months after radiotherapy finished but medication resolved that neuropathic pain.

My oncologist told me radiotherapy has the greatest impact, if you go by the evidence. Having got this far, why waste that opportunity? However, maybe your wife needs some time to lick her wounds, as I did. It may be that her oncology team would be willing to defer it for a week or two - which DOES make a difference even if it doesn’t sound long. Also, if you think about it, there must be million of us surviving with supposedly scarred lungs and damaged hearts - they have refined radiotherapy to minimise these effects and we barely notice them unless we are already vulnerable. Unfortunately, they are obliged to inform us of all potential side effects and we end up scared stiff.

Some of us are worn down physically and psychologically by treatment and it’s hard to picture ourselves taking even one more thing. However, just one little gift like a fortnight’s respite can make all the difference. I certainly would respect her decision if her mind is set but encourage her to explore the alternatives first - and ask for some anti-nausea meds for the letrozole till it wears off.

I wish you both well,

Jan x