Feeding cancer

I spoke to my GP today regarding HRT and severe hot flushes and she mentioned some new ideas about maybe it’s beneficial to feed breast cancer with oestrogen. Any one else heard of this? Mine was grade 2 idc HER2 positive and oestrogen receptive. I was on HRT for 10 years and have just started Letrozole so am suffering terribly with hot flushes and restless legs.

2 Likes

Hi Sue I do hope that you receive lots of responses to your query…
Personally I also was given the same advice a few years ago- but my experience and strong view is that you should take further advice

Lambin

3 Likes

That is the exact opposite of what every breast cancer oncologist would say. If you have a hormone positive tumor the last thing you want to do is feed it the fuel that makes it grow. Please go to a breast cancer oncologist before taking the advice of a GP. A GP is not an expert on breast cancer. IMO it would be like asking your dentist what medication works best for gastrointestinal issues.

12 Likes

Hi Sue2,
I feel your distress,I am in full menopause breakdown at the moment.My cancer was er+ and pr + so I had to stop my HRT as my cancer feeds on those hormones. Due to my severe menopause symptoms I have put taking Letrozole off at the moment.
I do not understand the feed the cancer concept? Sound absolutely bizarre why would you want to encourage it to grow?
Anyway take care its an awfull situation we are all in, but we can all support each other.
Xxx

6 Likes

Hi @sue2

I am aware that it was the case some 20/30 years ago that breast cancer was treated with oestrogen however much of this research has now been shown to be flawed and predates the development of the hormone suppressive treatments which are now used.

You may be interested to read or listen to some of Dr Liz O’Riordan’s research on this point, I watched an interesting video she did on this topic after Louise Newsom appeared on This Morning advocating HRT for breast cancer patients and quoting the aforementioned research.

AM xx

5 Likes

I was the same. Had to stop HRT after 10 years and gave severe menopausal symptoms. I have started Letrozole and at the moment the only thing i have noticed is extreme fatigue. Hot flushes which are awful are the same. Thought i should at least give it a try but don’t know hiw long for.

3 Likes

Hi Sue2
I had been on HRT for over 10 years and TBH when I saw my oncologist last week to discuss starting Letrozole I was open to starting, I asked what %benefit it would give me and 10 years on Letrozole would only improve my 10 yr survival rate by 8%so less than 1%a year, due the the impact menopause is having on me at the moment and the problems with decreasing bone density, aches and pains etc on Letrozole for me it just wasn’t worth it. But as my oncologist said the door has been left open if I change my mind.
We all have to make decisions which impact us and all do it taking all sorts of information i to account.
I am happy with my decisions and feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders now.
Hope everything works out for you.
Take care xxx

3 Likes

When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer 30 years ago, I took HRT alongside Tamoxifen, under the supervision of the Marsden. When I came off the Tamoxifen, after 5 years and was still on the HRT, the cancer returned. I had a mastectomy. I was then clear for 25 years, after which the cancer returned, HER2 and oestrogen positive. I took HRT initially as I had severe hot flushes, which continued throughout my life, until I finally was recommended Gabapentin, which is a game changer.

2 Likes

I am no longer allowed HRT due to my cancer being oestrogen receptive. My hot flushes are making me feel so ill along side the extreme tiredness from Letrozole and radiotherapy. Am still debating if it’s a good thing to take the Letrozole or not, the benefits seem to be minimal. Its so hard to know whats right.

3 Likes

The advice I was given at the Marsden was to reduce oestrogen as much as possible - even for my low grade small tumour and lumpectomy. When I was prescribed Letrozole I was told to stop all oestrogen, including HRT and the vaginal oestrogen I had been using. I had to stop Letrozole as I was allergic to it and moved to Tamoxifen. This is considered slightly less effective than Letrozole (which worried me at first but as others have noted the percentages are small) but as it works differently I was allowed to restart the hormone cream. Tamoxifen also has fewer side effects.
So this might be a compromise option for you.

2 Likes

Hi @sue2

Please don’t suffer in silence, I would suggest going back to your Breast Cancer Team/oncologist with the issues you are having rather than the GP

There are alternative AI’s to Letrozole and also Tamoxifen (there are lots of ladies on the forum who’ve really struggled with the endocrine therapy)

I am on Tamoxifen at 52 as I was perimenopausal at diagnosis, I’ve just received an appointment to discuss my menopausal status and presumably my hormone therapy, personally I don’t have many problems with Tamoxifen and would prefer not to move onto Letrozole

Sending you hugs
AM xxx

1 Like

I’m really struggling to understand why you would suggest that to a patient who is HER2, ER+. Increasing oestrogen is the last thing you should be doing!
What have you tried to manage the side effects of the Letrozole? Has anyone suggested trying magnesium for restless legs (oral or topical creams) and possibly something like Citalopram (speak with your GP) to manage hot flashes?

My GP is reluctant to prescribe at the moment as she said it causes severe headaches. Haven’t heard of using magnesium for restless legs so might try that, thanks. Severe fatigue is really getting me down too.

Hi. Yes, I was on hrt for 8 years and had to go cold turkey - suffered very badly with all menopause symptoms.
I have a ladycare magnet (something oncology nurse said to try) and take Sage capsules (per oncologist). Also take magnesium for restless legs.
None have totally cured it, but much, much improved. No night sweats and flushes only seem to come in if I get anxious and then not nearly as bad as before the sage and magnet.

It seems if you are forced into menopause then symptoms can be far worse - I took Letrozole for 4 months and had so many problems, my oncologist told me that it was giving me a 1% benefit and that life quality needed to be considered. I have just started on a new one (Examestane) as I want to give it my best shot but already I have such bad joint problems i cant bend down to pick up the dog poo - a problem with two small dogs :laughing:. Not sure I’m gonna continue with it :pensive:

1 Like

I have been taking Letrozole for 3 months with severe hot flushes, joint pain and fatigue. I decided to stop for a couple of weeks but my symptoms have stayed the same so I can only assume they are menopausal symptoms caused by stopping HRT after 10 years so am now thinking of restarting Letrozole.

1 Like

I feel your pain. I am the same and it is unbearable having, effectively, extreme menopause. I had HRT for three years and it was such a relief, now I have gone back to menopause but worse because of the anastrozole. I have asked for alternatves to try (like letrazole) but they have done nothing. No reply from GP even! Despite my surgeon suggesting I try it. Good luck x

1 Like

I have stopped Letrozole for now to see if I feel any better but still have hot flushes , painful joints etc as obviously going through menopause after 10 years of HRT.
So hard to do what’s best. Hope things get better for you.

1 Like