Feeling chronically alone with this

I feel like I’m in cancer no mans land. I’m waiting for my treatment to start for triple negative cancer.

I’m reeling. My world has been upended in a fortnight. I was turned away from my local charity support group for younger women this morning because I haven’t started treatment yet.

I feel utterly alone with this

10 Likes

I can’t believe they did that that’s terrible ! I’m waiting for chemo to start on 29th. Not in a great place as it feels miles away so I’m having lots of pains and stuff and not sure how much is in my head. We are always here for you so please know you are not alone . You can message me anytime x

2 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate that. I’m not sure what the reason was, maybe they thought it would make me feel worse at this stage. But it makes me feel like I’m in this terrible pergatory and not welcome in my old life, or the new cancer world.

It’s a bad day today

2 Likes

Hello lovely, sorry to hear your news. The thing that got me through those first weeks after diagnosis was the Penny Brohn charity. They do lots of weekly online sessions to support you holistically-breathwork/hypnotherapy/diet/treatment support programme etc-I found it a salve to my nervous system & a way to come to terms with what was happening while the medical system did its thing & took its time. Just an idea that may help you x

4 Likes

Hello and have a virtual hug.

You are absolutely not alone in this. There’s a huge medical team on your side for a start and you’ll always find a sympathetic ear here. Breast Cancer Now has their helpline and Macmillan have one too with longer opening times. I was given a Macmillan support worker who was absolutely spiralling in the early days.

If you have a Maggie’s centre they also do drop ins.

Ring your breast care nurse and get her to signpost the best place for you.

3 Likes

You can get yourself referred for counselling through your breast care nurse too @wildthingsare. There can be long waiting times so that’s something you can line up now for the future.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that happened to you @wildthingsare.

Please know that you are not alone and we are here for you, and if you need someone to speak to you can reach our very friendly nurses on our helpline 0808 800 6000. They’re there for any questions you have, or even if you just want someone to talk to.

We also have a section on the forum for those with triple negative breast cancer Latest Diagnosed with breast cancer/Triple negative and inflammatory breast cancer topics - Breast Cancer Now forum so you can connect to those who have a similar diagnosis.

Sending all our very best,

Alice

4 Likes

We’re all here for you. I understand how you feel. I haven’t had a treatment plan or anything yet and waiting for more results. It excruciating. It’s all the waiting it’s so hard. I’m sorry that happened to you today bless you. Maybe give the nurses a call might help x

3 Likes

Hey @wildthingsare

When I was first diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative, the very next thing I did after my appointment and after telling my family was go off in search of people like me. I found the Breast Cancer Now podcast and in particular, this episode featuring British journalist Rosamund Dean, who is a stage 3, grade 3 triple negative survivor. She was 40 when diagnosed in 2021 and her relatable personality helped me feel so comforted in those early days. The podcast opened up the world of breast cancer for me as I didn’t just see breast cancer survivors or patients. I saw real women who could be me.

The link is below and if you decide to watch, I hope you get as much out of it as I did.

8 Likes

Thank you all I really appreciate it.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry they turned you away like that. I hope you can get yourself back there and ask their reasoning and also give them an insight into how it made you feel.

I completely understand how you feel. During the waiting process, after I knew I had breast cancer but the details and treatment plan was being figured out I felt like an alien! Id walk around wondering who else was like me. Who else here had cancer? Is it just me? It felt like I was the only one going through it. Of course that’s not true and you never know what other people around you are going through. Once my treatment started I dont remember having these feelings. You get swept up in the routine and the appointments. The waiting around is absolutely the worst part mentally.

What support system do you have around you? Family, friends? Are they aware of your situation?

Cancer gave me a very clear picture of who wanted to be here for me and the people who came through to offer help and sometimes even just send me a quick message. None of them going through what I was going through but they were there for me if I needed and I cherish these people now.

If nothing else throw yourself into this forum. I have found some wonderful support here. Once you know when your treatment is starting you can start chatting in that monthly thread. It really helps :heart:

Big hugs

3 Likes

So very sorry to hear this. I can remember feeling so alone despite amazing family and friends. If there’s a Maggies drop in cancer centre near you then I totally recommend. I don’t have one near me , but phoned them and the guy I spoke to was brilliant. Give it a go. In my experience I felt better once treatment had started xx

3 Likes

Thank you for this recommendation, have just started her book which seems very reassuring.

1 Like

I’ve read it twice now. It’s excellent!

1 Like

I am very sorry you are going through this and you are not alone. how dare that group send you away. All of us need love and support and that’s how we heal.
I am wishing for your treatment to go well and supporting you from afar.

I had cancer in 2005 and that was uterus, due to a polyp that wasn’t treated correctly. Then again in January 2026, breast cancer which was such a shock. its always a shock for all of us. I felt sure I wouldn’t get cancer again but I did. This time I made the decision to join an online group run by a doctor, that has worked with cancer patients for several decades. It is important to find the best support for you, no matter what that is. It may be to keep messaging on this forum. Go to one of the pages on triple negative as that may also help you. There are groups on facebook for triple negative and also lots of support groups there. When you feel more able to cope take a look as there is a lot out there for support and education. it’s all good and helpful. It also stops you thinking about cancer as a personal infliction on you and realise there is a way through this and you will make it through this journey as well. wrapping you in love at this difficult time SX

1 Like

Hi @wildthingsare. My situation is different as it’s my mum who has stage 2 grade 3 triple negative cancer, not me. She was diagnosed in November but treatment didn’t start until January which felt like an eternity. She has recently finished chemo and the last ultrasound showed the lump is no longer measurable and lymph node is normal size again. Still got a way to go with surgery etc but I know I was desperate for hope when she was newly diagnosed so thought I would share x

4 Likes