Feeling rough after EC treatment

I had my 1st EC treatment on Monday and all went ok. I did feel very nauseous and tired but this has passed, but 6th day and I still feel really groggy and ‘out of it’. Is this normal, can I expect this to pass or do I need to get used to it for the remainder of my treatment?
I took anti sickness and steroids for first 3 days, but this has stopped and I have managed walks out the last 2 days but really hate this current feeling.

Hiya @nicd have you joined the June group? Lots of us on there for support and going through ec !

I was similar… nausea the first 24 hours then felt a tad ‘out of it’ til day 7 - not a bad feeling but didn’t feel quite like me! Week 2 has been completely normal! So hang on in there … it will get better. Talk to your team too as they may adjust your meds next time xx

1 Like

Thanks Donna_51 - how do i join the June group? I tried to just search June but that didnt work! All new here and not sure I am making the most of resources.

@nicd this might work!!

xx

1 Like

The first is the worst!

Take Domperidone for longer though. My docs told me to keep on it for 7-10days on EC and I definitely needed it until Day 6/7 at the very least!

The key is to not let nausea start so if you need more, call them and demand it!

The bone pain from the Filgrastim doesn’t help either once that kicks in. Be super kind to yourself. Only do 50-60% of what you feel you can do.

This is a slow climb up a rocky tall mountain and not a sprint. Each cycle gets easier (until you change drugs) but the tiredness gets harder and your one and only mission is to stay hydrated, try and eat well, keep your mouth hygiene exceptional, protect your nails and conserve enough energy to get good bloods so they can poison you again. I set the bar for myself way too high at first and kept falling flat on my face and I wish I’d just kept to that simple formula!

I’ve now clocked up 84 hours of The West Wing and it’s been my saviour. I’ve stopped kicking myself for being useless because actually, fighting cancer is a full time job! Be kind to yourself! Xx

1 Like

Thanks for this - I think I def need to lower my expectations and accept that up out of bed and a shower is a win! I ‘braved’ going to meet my folks yesterday for fathers day, that was a big mistake and I have learnt a hard lesson quickly = this is one thing I am not going to breeze, so yes, I do just have to sit back and see what unfolds. Thanks for that reminder. This is the start of my chemo journey, and I need to find a way to get my head in the game to allow me to get through.
I have been fortunate to be able to eat pretty ok, so long may that continue. You keep well and look after yourself xxx

Hi ncid

Thanks for your post.

It’s understandable you hate the way you feel at the moment.

Chemotherapy side effects vary from person to person and learning how to cope with them takes time and can be difficult. Nausea and tiredness are common side effects of EC chemotherapy and feeling groggy and ‘out of it’ isn’t uncommon.

It’s good to read that the nausea and tiredness has improved and that you have been able to get out for walks over the last couple of days. But as @donna_51 suggests, do let your treatment team know how you have been feeling as they may be able to adjust some of your medication. It’s difficult to say if the grogginess and feeling out of it will improve. Our information about extreme tiredness may be useful to look at.

Being in touch with other people who are going through similar treatment can be helpful and if you haven’t already done so you may like to look at the monthly chemotherapy threads on this section of the forum

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can often be helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. You can be in touch with your volunteer by phone or email and they can share their personal experiences to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen to how you are feeling.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0114 263 6490 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.

You may also be interested in our range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer. They include face to face and online courses and events.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Wednesday 19 June for staff training.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Val

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.