Fibroadenoma: decision to remove or not

Hi there, I’m 18 and for a while have had a lump on my right breast, in June last year it was diagnosed as a fibroadenoma after an examination and an ultrasound, measuring 11mm, I was discharged as it was small and nothing to worry about. Today I have been back to the hospital due to it causing me a lot of pain and seeming to have grown in size. It was at this appointment that I was told I have another lump in my left breast that feels a lot bigger.

They did an ultrasound and confirmed that it too is a fibroadenoma that measures 4cm (40mm) and that the original one is now 18mm in size. The doctor has offered me surgery to have both removed but kept making the point that the operation will leave me with 2 scars, one stretching across my cleavage area. He said this is something to consider as a young woman. 

I’ve come away from the appointment with a lot to think about, and am just curious as to what the surgery is like, what the scar may look like and how quickly people usually recover from this surgery. 

Sorry for the long post, hopefully, some of you will have some reassuring advice that will make the decision a little easier! :slight_smile:

Hi Ap28

Hope you don’t mind me replying! I am sure others will be along soon.

I just wanted to make you aware that you can always email our nurses if you have questions about the operation- breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/support-you/email-our-nurses 

Thanks

Tom