Fibroadenoma

Hi,

My wife started with pain in the bottom RH breast about 3 weeks ago and we went to the doctors who referred her for a mammogram. She had antibiotics and within a week the lump had gone down but was still painful. She went last Tuesday for the mammogram and ultrasound and the guy doing the ultrasound said there was a lump and both he and the consultant felt it was a Fibroadenoma. (she even got a leaflet!).My wife felt comforted by the news and they said to make 100% sure they would do a biopsy, which they did. After finishing with the consultants the McMillan nurse took my wife into another room asking questions about her family history etc and said there was a small chance it could be something more serious. She booked in a date Friday 19th June giving almost a 2 week wait. 

We are both so anxious now as the nurse has put this seed of doubt in her head. She did know that was the reason for the biopsy but from feeling positive after speaking to the consultant she is now focusing on the possible chance. I am trying to be as strong as possible with lots of reassuring cuddles are helping but I have not spoken to anyone about this and bottling it all up inside isn’t helping. 

Any tips on coping through the wait would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Rikrat

Welcome to the forums, this must be very difficult time for you and your wife.  I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support for you both. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Rikrat,
Just read your post. If you’ve been browsing posts on here you will be well aware that you and your wife are not alone in struggling with the waiting! How did the appointment go yesterday?
Kitt
X