fibroids and bc - anyone else?

Does anyone else on here have fibroids as well as bc? I was diagnosed this month - stage 1 invasive ductal bc. Lumpectomy next week then rads and tamoxifen to come.

I had just had a mirena fitted to deal with the fibroids but have had it removed as the bc is hormone receptor positive. Just now going thru the ‘mirena crash’ (side efects of mirena removal) as well as the shock of being diagnosed with bc.

I’ve heard that tamoxifen causes fibroids to grow and am concerned as I have many large ones already which are causing piles/constipation/bloating/fatigue. I’ve had zoladex in the past which successfully shrank the fibroids and have seen zoladex mentioned as a hormone treatment for bc.

Hoping someone else has been thru this.

C x

Hi there, I have just come out of hospital yesterday after having a hysterectomy to remove a melon sized fibroid. I was put on the waiting list to have a hystectomy last March but then this had to be deferred when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May. I was originally diagnosed with DCIS after having had a routine screening mammogram. On 1st July I had bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I was found to have two small invasive ductal tumours which were oestrogen receptive. I have been on Tamoxifin since 21st of July. I didnt find the Tamoxifen affected the size of my fibroid although I found that it made my uterus feel very tender for about 5 days mid cycle. My fibroid was causing me a lot of discomfort and endless trips to the loo in the night and didnt feel this got particularly any worse when I started taking tamoxifen. I feel very lucky my consultant agreed to my having a hysterectomy as I feel in my particular circumstances it was the right thing for me to do, especially because of family history. As my tumours were oestrogen receptive I have also had my ovaries removed. I think maybe some time next year I will be able to swap to different meds as I will be post menopausal.
It is a huge shock to be diagnosed with bc, I am sure you will feel a little better once treatment starts.