Flu and Covid jab while on chemo

I have just been offered flu jab and Covid jab - I will be 4 days after my 5/6 chemo treatment of Pertuzamab, Trastuzamab and Docetaxol plus Denosumab . Is it OK to have the vaccinations or should I wait until after last chemo?
Thanks

I’ve not been offered Covid but have been offered flu. I have been told to have it, anytime, and that my husband should have it too, even if he isn’t eligible (which in fact he is anyway)

1 Like

Hi Bibi,

Thank you for posting your question.

Because chemotherapy can affect how your immune system works, it is usually recommended to have the flu and covid jabs (vaccines) rather than waiting until you have completed the last treatment. However, your treatment team will be able to let you know if there is a best time to get the vaccines, to make sure your immune system has recovered enough for the vaccines to work well. Do talk to your breast care nurse or treatment team so they can advise what would be best in your case.

Cancer research UK have some more information about the flu and covid19 vaccines for people with cancer, which you may find helpful. If you need to change your vaccine appointment you can find out how to do this here.

We offer a range of free supportive services which may be of interest for you. You can find details about all of these services in the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Cassie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.