Fluid build up after doctor drained it.

Hi had my mastectomy and reconstruction 2 week ago. Doing well but I had my surgeon drain it 4 days ago. He drained 150ml. its seems to me swollen again with fuild again. Surgeon doesn’t seem to like to drain it and said it will probably refill again. What is it best to do, can it be left to wait till it goes back in the body.

Hi Hay,
What you are describing sounds very much like a seroma - the name given to a gathering of serus fluid (a clear/pale yellow fluid) that gathers in the space where tissue has been removed. Opinions on how to treat them vary among doctors. Some will drain then, espeically if they are large (mine was around 700ml). Others prefer to leave them to reabsorb (which they will eventually) as each time they drain them there is a small risk of infection because the skin is broken. Some doctors, will use a steroid injection to help resolve a persistent seroma - and it certainly worked for me.

It’s a good idea to keep an eye your wound area in case it becomes red, painful or showing signs of infection, in which case you’d need to get it checked by a doctor or BCN.

Hopefully yours will resolve itself quickly, and you recon is all you hope for

Hi Hay

I used to have mine drained twice a week for about 6 weeks so don’t worry too much about it, it is normal x

Thanks ladies for your replies but is it safe to leave the fuild in there, thats my concern. I don’t want to risk infection and have to have implant removed. It is very swollen but no more than last time. The trouble is its my breast surgeon that has to drain it as BCN can’t because of implant.

Hi Hay123, I had mx in August with LD flap. After having the four drains removed, each time I went back to the hospital they drained a little more, but each time it got less. I too had an implant immediately after my LD flap mx and the BCN drained it with no problem. As time went on, my plastic surgeon was reluctant to keep draining it as he said “if you continually keep draining, then the body will get lazy and expect drainage, but if you leave well alone albeit a small amount of fluid, it will eventually return to the body naturally”.
I wouldn’t worry too much Hay123, but if you’re that concerned call them. Don’t let it spoil your Christmas !! Big hugs Kathy xx

Thanks kathy, I’ve left a message on BCN answermachine, so they will get it Monday, just so they are aware of it. It’s weird you get different things, I’ve had shotting pains today as well as the swelling from the fluid. So crappy day in the boob department. I’m am hopeing fluid will just return into the body too. Thanks for your kind message too regarding my good news re results. Just need to get boob feeling better. Merry Christmas to you big hugs Emma xxxxx

Hi Hay 123

I had mx 2 weeks ago too, and I have seroma just under my new breast , they have drained it 4 times now , but are leaving it for a few days to see if it settles and starts to sort itself out. I too get stabbing pains in the area , but I think it is all normal. the hospital were not concerned when I mentioned it .
Take care
BMW07

Hi Emma, hope your feeling a bit better today. Keep us posted on what the BCN replied to your voicemail. Big hugs Kathy xxx

Hi Kathy thanks feeling better to day, kept my tight sports bra on which help. No shotting pains today. I keep u posted. Just wondering if its best to let nature take its course re fluid. As its easier today, I’ll let you know xxx

Hi ladies went back to clinic today to get fluid drained. He drained 100ml which was less than last time. Quite sore as he did it near chest wall. He did say maybe come back in the new year and get it drained by ultrasound as there was still fluild left. So feel a bit sore from the needle. Not the best Christmas Eve but hay ho. Hopefully some pain killers will ease it. Merry Christmas to you all xxx

Hi Emma, glad that they drained some fluid for you. Hopefully it will ease up shortly. I actually had five drains over a period of about few weeks, so it’s all very normal. Have a wonderful Chritmas and make sure you take it easy and don’t do too much. Big hugs Kathy xxx