Fly after surgery

Hi. I will be 8 weeks post op after breast cancer surgery and am desperate to see my family who live in Australia.
I intend to wear flight stockings and a mask. Is it safe to fly?

I flew after surgery but spoke to my breast care nurse, she said no long haul but Spain was ok.
I’d give them a ring and check.

I’ll do that. Thanks :blush:

Hello lindag_1

Thank you for your post.

It’s understandable that you are desperate to see your family in Australia. How soon you can travel will be different depending on the type of surgery you’ve had. You will usually need to wait a minimum of 6 weeks after surgery before you can fly. This is because there is an increased risk of blood clots and complications after surgery.

As @Pebbles51 mentions it’s important to check with your treatment team before booking any travel. You may also need to check with the airline on their policy for flying after surgery.

There are things you can do to reduce the risk of developing blood clots when you fly, including wearing flight stockings, as you mention.

You may be interested in our Facebook Live video about travel insurance.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete
Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.