Flying with a seroma

I had a single mastectomy in Nov 23. I had a large seroma post surgery. Its much smaller now but I am wondering if its safe to fly? I would like a short haul holiday but am worried about the pressure & risk of blood clots. Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance.

Hi suzie;
My seroma was huge but went down quite quickly no aspiration needed but I still had a little pocket. I was due to take a 4 hour flight 4 months after mastectomy and it was fine. I’m on tamoxifen so wore flight socks and drank lots of water and got up every hour. I had no problems at all. Hope that helps x

1 Like

Hi Joyousjen. Thanks very much for this advice. I too had a huge seroma post surgery Nov 23 & still got issues. Hope you had a smashing trip! X

1 Like

The seroma was like a phantom boob most disconcerting! Surgeon said I needed to be patient but he was happy with it and said the “corrugating” will subside and was due to the seroma. The holiday great all went well and I slathered in factor 30 and no problems. Skin seemed okay on tamoxifen too x

1 Like

Glad you had a lovely break! I hope to go away in June, but just started anti biotics as developed a pesky infection. Poor chest is taking a right battering atm…hopefully tablets will do the trick! I know what u mean by the ghost boob. I was almost the same size again it was so big! Not as bad now thank goodness x

2 Likes

Suzie those antibiotics will kick that chest infection into touch! And you will be doing cart wheels soon ( disclaimer : please don’t!) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:xx
I was so nervous about the flight/holiday as my last holiday was pre mastectomy - things were different but totally manageable and the new normal was okay xxxx

1 Like

Hi suzie19

Thanks for posting asking about flying after breast cancer treatment.

It’s understandable to worry about the risk of blood clots and ask about your ongoing seroma. As your surgery was in November there is no reason to suggest travelling on a long or short haul flight will cause any complications to your seroma. As joyousjen suggests you can also consider using flight socks, keeping hydrated and moving around during the flight to reduce the risk of blood clots. If you have a breast care nurse, you could give them a call to discuss your concerns.

You may also find this information on travelling after breast cancer helpful to read.

Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. You may be interested in our Moving Forward resources that are for people who have had a diagnosis of primary breast cancer and have come to the end of their main hospital treatment within the last 2 years. They include our Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses.

We also offer a range of free supportive services which you may be interested in.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Good Friday 29 March, open on Saturday 30 March and closed on Easter Monday 1 April.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.