Follow-up Mammogram

Hello,

I was interested in the recent thread about mammograms after breast cancer treatment.

I was surprised when I received a letter this week from the Breast Unit where I was diagnosed with right breast IDC last October inviting me for a mammogram in June. I had a mammogram (both breasts) in October 2022, followed by an MRI scan (both breasts) in December 2022. The left breast was clear in both. I had a right breast mastectomy in January 2023. 

This has left me wondering why they would invite me for a mammogram in June, so soon after the others. Perhaps it’s just how they do things and I suppose they have to start the regular screenings at some point. It’s just that a few months after the previous ones/ a mastectomy is a lot sooner than I expected. There are no clues in the letter! I don’t want to take up a slot unnecessarily so was wondering if this timescale is usual.

Thanks.

Dunnock

@Dunnock  

Hi,

I had my mammogram last week, one year from diagnosis, and I have been given a mammogram passport with when I need every year.

I was told I will still receive my breast screening appointment because unfortunately The two systems don’t talk to each other, so I will need to call up when invited and explain my situation. Maybe that’s what happened to you?

Laura

Hi Dunnock 

Thanks for posting. 

As @LauraR explained perhaps this is the three yearly screening mammogram appointment and you’ve replied saying you’ll email them, which is a good idea. You could also contact your breast care nurse to check. 

Our information about follow up might be useful and you might be interested in the range of free services we offer. In particular Moving Forward

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.** 

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

We are closed Monday the 29th May for the bank holiday. 

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes 

Jane 

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.