FS-greens Mango and Tamoxifen

After starting Tamoxifen last July following Breast Cancer surgery I have been suffering from menopause symptom’s which I was told would happen so no big suprise. A friend of mine has started going through the menopause and recommended a product she had started taking called FS-Greens Mango that she feels has really helped her with some of her symptoms. I am thinking of giving this product a try but just wanted to check that there is nothing in the ingredients that I should be avoiding while taking Tamoxifen. I have had a look online but found conflicting information. I have included a photo of the product/ingredients which seem innocent enough but just wanted to double check.

Hi nichola78. It is so hard not knowing what is safe or not isn’t it. I have (and continue!) to tie myself up in knots over this. I was pointed the direction of the Memorial Sloan Kettering website as a reputable source so not sure if you have checked there? I would say that I have stopped taking a product with ashwaghanda in though as heard that ‘may’ be problematic. Pineapple I think is similar. However the quantities here may be small. As ever, I would check with your breast care team.

Hi nichola78

Thanks for posting.

Many people ask about products such as these as well as vitamins and herbs as they want to do as much as possible to be healthy and to help manage side effects of treatment for breast cancer.

There is often the belief that these types of products are safe as they are considered natural. However, there is much we don’t know about things like superfoods, supplements and herbal remedies as they don’t have to comply with the same regulations or rigorous testing that conventional medicines do. For many products there is a lack of research to support their use, and some can interfere with conventional medicines including cancer treatments.

It can be difficult to check the safety of products particularly when they contain so many ingredients. As @blue80 says, you can search this American website, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, for information about individual herbs and vitamins included. Each has sections on existing evidence and what known interaction there is with other medications. You may find that that some herbs have different names in America. You can also search herbal products and supplements on the European website Complementary and Alternative Medicine for cancer and on the American website Medicine Plus

However, as @blue80 also mentions, it’s important to check with your treatment team, oncology pharmacist or GP before taking any vitamins, supplements or herbal and superfood products.

You may be interested in our Moving Forward resources that are for people who have had a diagnosis of primary breast cancer and have come to the end of their main hospital treatment within the last 2 years. Our Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses include information and support about managing side effects of treatment and wellbeing.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Good Friday 29 March, open on Saturday 30 March and closed on Easter Monday 1 April.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.