FSH levels

Hi. I have been taking tamoxifen for 3 years. I have constantly oedematous legs (one more so) so my consultant suggested an ultrasound of abdo / pelvis. This showed a fatty liver and increased thickening of the uterus lining. The consultant suggested I may be menopausal and can change to Anastrozole. I have just had the results of my first FSH (taking tamoxifen as they wouldn’t let me stop) , the GP receptionist told me I was menopausal and tried to book me in with the GP but I explained I was having another FSH in 6 weeks time. I asked to be emailed the results of this and other bloods - the FSH is 20.8 iu/L which I didn’t think was high enough to be classed menopausal? Should I be worried as I thought that the tamoxifen should be ‘blocking’/ ‘reducing’ hormones ?
Thank you for any advice / clarification

Hi Sare

Thanks for posting on our forum

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our helpline is open from 9am tomorrow.

If you do phone our helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses service co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Hi Sare,

Thanks for posting.

Tamoxifen can cause changes to the womb lining. Some women if they are post-menopausal may be switched to an aromatase inhibitor.

You don’t mention how old you are but explain you have been told, based on your recent FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) test that you are now post-menopausal. FSH is found in higher levels in menopause. Many women will be advised to stop tamoxifen before this test as there are concerns that tamoxifen could make the test less reliable.

It can be hard to find normal reference ranges and the previous link explains why. It sounds as if it would be helpful to talk this through with your consultant. You can ask about stopping tamoxifen before your next test and what the significance of a result of FSH level 20.8 mIU/mL means in your individual situation.

You may also want to post here to find out other women’s experience of this is. And here are the details of all our services.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.