Gaining weight

Hiya! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct 2022. I had a lumpectomy in Jan 2023, followed by radiation. All went well I’m pleased to say. However, after having been on Letrozole for a year, I have put on about a stone which I can’t shed. I’ve been watching what I eat and exercise at the gym regularly. I’ve never weighed this much and really don’t want to keep gaining! Anybody else struggling with weight gain? Any suggestions? :pensive:

Hi, I’m glad you posted about this. I haven’t started letrozole yet so haven’t any advice but I will be after I finish chemo and radiotherapy, I am already finding it hard to keep the weight off so am intrigued to see what advice you receive on this thread.
I’ve never coped well with my weight as it is so I’m dreading this as a side effect :cry:
Hope all is well x

Hi Tabby-Lou, I know there are worse side effects that could be had, but I too find weight gain frustrating. I don’t know that I can prove it’s from the meds, but with little to no metabolism, it’s hard to keep weight down. I’d like to find out more about what foods to eat and what to avoid too. All the best with your treatments!

Hello there,

Firstly, kudos to you for your strength and resilience throughout your breast cancer journey. Weight changes can indeed be challenging. Sometimes medications like Letrozole can contribute to weight gain. It’s great that you’re watching your diet and staying active.

Consider consulting with a nutritionist or your healthcare provider to explore personalized strategies. They can provide insights tailored to your specific situation. Additionally, connecting with support groups or others who have faced similar challenges can offer valuable advice and emotional support.

Remember, your well-being is the priority, and you’re not alone in this journey. Wishing you continued health and strength!

1 Like

Hi

Sorry to hear about your weight gain. I can sympathise. I had lumpectomy last July, followed by chemotherapy and Herceptin ( which continues until this September), then radiotherapy. Started Letrozole in January and over the past 10 months since I found the lump I seem to have put on weight. I’m still recovering from everything that has happened, but I am increasing my walking and exercise.

www.pennybrohn.org.uk is a charity based in Bristol but helps U.K. wide with online help in nutrition and fitness. I had attended a couple of nutrition sessions and these have been helpful.

I did read that Letrozole can cause swelling which I have in my hands and feet/ankles and wondered if that could be some of my weight gain. I need to see my GP about it. Do you have any swelling?

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: