Genetic Testing - CHEK2

Hi all,

My first post. I’ve a history of breast cancer in my family. My maternal aunt in her 30’s and my mother in he 50’s. It’s a long extended story but I have been going through the process of accessing genetic testing for 5 years and received my test in November this year. In February I got the results that I have the CHEK2 gene and a lifetime risk of 41-52%.
I am due to have my first MRI screening and I have an appointment on Tuesday with a breast surgeon for a risk Vs benefit conversation…
Has anyone else been diagnosed with this variant and have any experience of these types of appointments and conversations. I want to stress I am not upset about learning I have a genetic variant but feel empowered for myself and my daughter to have some element of control.

4 Likes

Hi @emp01

Welcome to the forum. I had a genetic test and was negative but totally get the control part. If it had been positive I would have opted for preventative surgery if that was required. I was also hoping it would be an answer as the why I got bc but I guess I’m just unlucky.

I hope someone else answers you post soon.

You can also chat to a BCN nurse * Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.

• Ask Our Nurses: You can message our nurses here on the forum, or confidentially. Whatever you prefer.

I’m unsure if they are available on bank holiday Monday.

I did a quick search on the forum and found 2 users who posted that they had the same gene several years ago.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: