genetic tests

Hello

I don’t know if I’m posting in the right place but my mum has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. She lost her mum at the age of 39 to breast cancer and her brother died of prostate cancer.  My mum’s aunt also had breast cancer.  I was just wondering if my mum will be checked for the faulty gene that makes a person at high risk of breast cancer.

Will she be tested at time of biopsy or do we have to request this kind of tests?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Darcy, I am sorry you have this worry about your Mum, you have come to the right place for information and support from your fellow forum members

I am am posting a link to the BCC information about breast cancer in families which should help to answer some of your queries and please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk any other concerns through

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/have-i-got-breast-cancer/am-i-risk/breast-cancer-in-families

Helpline 0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care

Lucy BCC

Hi Darcy

I had a test recently. I was referred by my oncologist. I would imagine your mum would be referred if they thought it was necessary. However, it wouldn’t do any harm to ask about it next time she sees her gp or oncologist.

They won’t do it as a matter of course. If referred, you go and see a counsellor who talks you through the process and decides from your family history if the test should be done. x

Thankyou x

Thanks xx