Getting ready for chemo - how would you use the summer?

Hi!

I’ll be starting chemotherapy in September so have the summer to ‘prepare’.

If you’ve had chemotherapy already, knowing what you know now, what would you do to get ready?

For example, someone mentioned yesterday getting my brows microbladed ready for hair loss.

Any other hints and tips from those who have already been through it?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @rosie7

I realise these may not apply to you but there are things I wish I’d have done in the run up to starting chemo but didn’t.

I wish I’d boycotted alcohol for a good few months prior. I started chemo on 24th April and haven’t had any alcohol since 5th April but looking back I really wish I’d quit it completely at diagnosis in November.

I also wish I’d taken better care of the basic but very important things such as sleep, diet, exercise and stress levels.

Good luck with your prep! x

1 Like

Look out for prehab before cancer treatment near you. My charitable run local cancer care centre offer prehab assessments prior to starting treatments. Some NHS trusts/ hospitals also provide such.

TBH I am glad l managed to pick up fitness before starting chemo as in my case chemo side effects kind of wiped the floor with me. Still using some of the prehab excercises to maintain muscle strength and mobility at home as l have not dared be far from a clean loo. hoping I can restart some light walking once the heatwave gives up.
Do what you can and not what you cannot, remember the aim of prehab is to improve fitnesss and health before treatment starts. IT is not meant to turn you into an Olympian before you start. (Unless you already are)

TBH linking in early or charities offering cancer prehab will also give you early access to other forms of support on offer that might be helpful to you as time goes on. In my case it has given me access to both immediate trauma counselling and therapy in a chemo friendly place which has been a Godsend as the NHS waiting list for hospital trauma is over two years where I live.

Go at the speed you need to, some days you may feel like sorting things out so you are as ready as you can be and other days will be a hide under the duvet day. try not to bed rot and if you think you might be do call the BCN helpline, your hospitals BCN team or speak with your GP and oncologist bout how your feeling. It is okay to reach out for help and support beyond family and friends if you think you might not be okay.

Get advice on nutrition, be honest with your oncologist Ifyou have any struggles around food ie vegan, allergies, ND texture issues etc as that will help them to help you as you may need extra blood screenings to make sure your body has all Ìt needs to cope .
only buy in small amounts of possible foods unless you have storage space as every single chemo round seems to change what you can face. my Dh did a heap of batch cooking all of which contained tomato’s. Guess what tasted of battery acid between rounds 1-4 yep anything with tomato’s. Now it’s cheese and sugar in anything.

Remember it’s okay not to know or be aware of every little possible thing , it’s okay to ask questions of others further ahead on this forum or call the BCN helpline.

Lack of knowledge is just that, you do not know about something in this strange place you are having to find your way through. TBH I have found people on this forum to be encouraging and supportive and willing to share what they have found to be helpful in case it might help someone else.

Try and keep up with protein and foliate and iron intake up as that helps your bone marrow make platelets, blood cells and support white blood cell production. It can also help if your treatment plan is surgery after chemo.

Get used to drinking 2+ litres of none alcoholic drinks a day as it will help your body cope with chemo. Expect nothing to taste like you remember it tasting when on chemo and be willing to retry something after each round of chemo.

Sort out a choice of hats, wraps and wig way before you think you might need them. Be aware that many on chemo find it easier to wear natural fabrics such as silk, cotton, linen, bamboo as hair loss can make your scalp super sensitive even if it has not been before.

link to Manchester’s Prehab website to give you an idea of what to look out for regarding prehab that may be near you. https://www.prehab4cancer.co.uk/

2 Likes

I would recommend getting yourself as fit and strong as you can as it really will help you cope better with the fatigue you might experience later. I did a lot of hiking. Take holidays and do other things you like. When you are on chemo you might be advised to avoid busy places at certain times so now is a good time to get in theatre trips etc.

3 Likes

I found this book useful - for before / during / and after treatment.

x

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone - I’m so glad I posted! So grateful for all of your hints, tips, experience and wisdom xxx

3 Likes

There’s lots of good advice already been given but I would also say join the thread of people starting chemo treatment at the same time as you. I started in March and our March chemo starters thread on here has really helped to normalise everything, provide tips about anything and everything and is a real place to feel seen. It’s worth having a look through some of the threads if you haven’t already.

If you like a podcast look out too for Liz O’ Riordans - So now I’ve got Breast Cancer. I would say don’t listen to all of them at once but pick out the ones that feel relevant for wherever you are xxx

2 Likes

Love Dr. Liz’s podcast! Great suggestion @clarabelle1.

1 Like

Very best of luck to you. As others have said, look at at least maintaining and ideally increasing your fitness in a way that works for you. I believe that’s the single most important thing that helped me through - both physically and mentally.

1 Like

I know it doesn’t feel like it but you’re in a ‘fortune’ position where you have time to prepare. Depending on diagnosis, many of us dont & are thrust straight into chemo so do what you can and don’t beat yourself up if you don’t quite make youre preparation milestones.

I was very ‘lucky’ and got a few weeks notice so I went away for a weekend. I went abroad myself & really appreciated time away to relax before the plethora of appointments & treatments.

Everyone is different. There is no right or wrong answer.

Good luck with your treatment x

1 Like

I didn’t have chemo so can’t offer any advice from personal experience, but I go to a gym and the new instructor is very experienced in working with people with a variety of medical conditions. She used to work helping people to get fitter/stronger in readiness for cancer surgery and she strongly believes it is the best thing patients can do both before and following cancer treatment. x

2 Likes

Hello,

From being told I had cancel to treatment plan I started eating anti inflammatory food more blueberries. Green tea etc, I was working and had a week notice for chemo. Look after your self take time for yourself. Are you having treatment before?. Big hugs xxx

1 Like

Hi @rosie7 its nice to meet you :heart:

So sorry you have a diagnosis that needs treatment but I am so impressed at how proactive you are being already. Getting prepped for chemotherapy now will really help. As everyone above has said you have a great opportunity to get yourself as fit and healthy as possible. Thats not to say that you go full steam ahead, change everything and burn yourself out before treatment begins haha keep things realistic

When I got my diagnosis the first thing I needed to do was feel like I was feeding my body everything it needed to fight cancer. If that’s even possible. The jury is still out on that. Even so, a robust immune system and healthy digestive system will help you win the fight. I read a book called Eat to Beat Disease by Dr William Li and it was very helpful. I didn’t feel like I needed to cut much out, just add lots of good stuff. Cutting out processed foods is always beneficial though. Think that if you can’t grow it or kill it, don’t eat much of it. Please just avoid any drastic changes so you dont get fed up. Do lots of research on what a bodies immune system needs and just tidy up your current diet. Add lots more healthy foods. Get used to extra fluids. There will never be a negative to cutting out alcohol but if that makes you miserable then just cut right back. Do what you can to enhance things not make your life harder. There’s a food thread here I started because the diet side of things was so important to me called Cancer Made Me Eat.

Movement will 100% help you during chemotherapy so if you can get active this summer then do (being careful in the sun and heat) I would love to tell you to start strength training but I never had the funds to be able to do that. Buying the right equipment or joining a gym and having a trainer. Although if you have the funds definitely do that haha. I walked miles. I literally clocked up thousands of steps. I put some music on or a podcast in my ears and off I went. I marched my way through that waiting period and it was wonderful. During chemotherapy I kept up the serious walking for more than half my treatment and it definitely helped. The last few rounds I just did what I could. Even 10 minutes walking a day helped. Before treatment I also did lots of yoga which I am getting back into now.

In terms of self care I used an app called YUKA to tidy up all the cosmetics and body products I use. I wanted to live going forward with as little toxins as possible. I quit alcohol, I was eating better. It made sense to tidy up what I put on my body also. And during chemotherapy your skin can be very sensitive so finding the gentle products now and getting used to them will be helpful. You use Yuka by scanning the barcode on products. Anything with any high risk ingredients gets put back on the shelf.

Nail care will be important during chemotherapy also. Start making it a habit that you use oil and balms on your nails now. Ive been lucky during chemo to not have nail problems and I put this down to the daily massages I give them which I started before treatment (toes included) Castor oil is 10/10 for nails, plus any kind of balm with beeswax in.

Mouth ulcers and thrush can be a major side effect for people so get used to using mouthwash twice a day. Use it before you brush your teeth. I bought myself a non alcohol medicated one and just used it as soon as treatment started.

Hair prep. This is were it gets difficult. You will lose hair during chemotherapy. If you cold cap, you might not lose as much. It is inevitable I’m so sorry. I think anyone that doesnt is an absolute rarity.

Eyebrows in my opinion are easy enough to powder on so if you dont like the idea of microblading then dont panic. Your eyelashes might stay strong and remain but there will be no replacement that doesnt irritate your skin. I didnt leave the house without mascara pre chemo so this really worried me but I’m very used to it now. I kept looking in mirrors, faced my face head on haha and it became my normal.

I can only tell you what I did to help my hair but what ever you decide is the right option for you. First I cut my long hair into a short bob ready for my surgeries and to help myself and my family get used to shorter hair. Then the week before my chemo I had my hair cut into a very short pixie cut. I actually wish I’d done it weeks before as I loved it! It was so nice and easy to manage. I used a cold cap for all 8 rounds of my chemotherapy. Its quite a commitment because it means you are sitting in the chair for an extra 4.5 hours. In my case all this paid off and I havent needed wigs and scarfs. I have lost a little bit of hair most days since the 14th day after my first chemo so having it short has helped with that being less irritating. My hair is very thin now and I have a couple of baldish patches at the back but I can walk around in public not caring about it. If its windy I wear a baseball cap. When I cut my hair into a pixie I had friends and family tell me it was too soon, too drastic and not necessary but it worked for me. I wouldn’t wait for after your first chemo to cut it. You’ll be suprised how quickly you can feel the chemos effects in your hair follicles. In my opinion the best thing you can do with your hair during chemotherapy is be as gentle as possible so if you can go short and not have to brush it perfect. I just used a wide tooth comb every now and then.

This is a huge essay I’m sorry haha but I hope there is something in there that you find helpful :heart:

Preparation is key :slight_smile: Food is medicine and movement is essential!

Big hugs x

7 Likes

What a great reply @foxgem - I echo all of that, I did most of that too just couldn’t remember !!

It’s also worth applying for a Little Lifts chemotherapy box. That includes some moo goo skin care and a soft toothbrush and some toothpaste as well as many other thoughtful items xxx

1 Like

Yes to microblading and do that sooner rather than later so they have time to heal fully. Also, based on my experience, I’d suggest hanging back from getting a wig if you don’t plan to cold cap. I bought one and then decided I hated it and never wore it. Going into chemo in the Autumn will mean a wig might be good for keeping warm, but with no head hair there is little purchase and I was paranoid about it flying off my head on breezy days.

If you do lose your hair, you will be in a much better position to see what suits you then. x

1 Like

unless you have been very recently arrange to be seen by a dentist and if you can dental hygienist. they will ensure your mouth is as healthy as it can be and can give advice as to how to look after your mouth and gums during chemo.
I saw mine just before (thank God) and now use Corsodyl advanced gum strengthen and protect toothpaste and have been able to maintain dental hygiene. I change to a new electric toothbrush head etc at each round of chemo to minimise the possibility of mouth infections. be aware that advice on dental care will depend on your chemo regime so ask the chemo nurse, oncologist or your dentist.
I did buy a soft toothbrush but only had to use that the first round for a couple of days when my mouth was super sensitive. I mostly use it to clean my night bite guard.
IF you use a night bite guard, retainer or similar make sure you order in the right kind of sanitising tablets and have a proper enclosed soak for it. Thankfully I found an apple flavoured retainer soak that proved a more bearable flavour than the normal mint heavy ones.

2 Likes

Hi my lovely! Go on Holiday!!!

Once you start Chemo, you may be tired, loads going on, infection risk etc, so go on holiday now even if it’s a short break. If you can, go with friends, or a person who can be there for you and can cheer you up and take your mind of even if it’s the last thing you may want to do right now.

I had a short weekend away before everything started and it was the best thing!!! Really took my mind of things and made me remember that life continues!!

I considered getting my brows microbladed, but it felt desperate, so I didn’t do it in the end. In the grand scheme of things, 4-6 months that I barely had any eyebrows was not that long, and now they are fully back in, so I’m quite glad I didn’t put that extra stress on myself.

Get some hand moisturizer. Helping hands from Lush was my favourite

Get a heated blanket if you are planning to use cold cap

See the dentist.

Get some difflam mount pray from boots.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m sorry you’re here but you will get loads of support from this forum.

My personal advice would be;

Ask about a port. Having chemotherapy into a hand vein can cause painful vein cording. Its manageable with regular massage, but avoidable with a port if that’s an option.

Keep yourself flexible so you can handle better the bad days if you have them.

Ask about hand and feet cooling pads. Not all treatment centres offer them, but they can prevent peripheral neuropathy.

Do what suits YOU. This is a time for 100% care of yourself.

Accept help

Be kind to yourself. Bless the good days and ride out the bad days, if you have them.

Most of all, we wish you all the best, onward and upward xx

1 Like

Hi there . just wanted to reply to you with my thoughts . Definitely get your eyebrows micro bladed or combination brows , which ever you feel you like best . It keeps your face looking normal and cancer free. Eyelashes will go , but to hide that buy really soft brown pencil eyeliner I have Prime Prometics in Mocha - it’s more expensive than some but glides on . Also find the nearest wig shop to you that offers private appointments . I have one near me in Southend on sea Essex UK which is amazing ! I found a wig in the same style as my hair , they had it in various colours . My Hospital doesn’t give prescriptions !! :face_with_symbols_on_mouth:where many do . But I did get the VAT off . And also buy a synthetic one not real hair I have had so may compliments - people who don’t know me and those who do .

Skin can become very dry nails are awful. The only product clinical proven to help nails is Polybalm again expensive but worth it - can buy on Amazon .

For your skin look up Moo Goo creams and body wash .

For your face La Roche Posay B5 serum and there’s a B5 cream too . A brand called Meme has some really good products too . For scalp & nails xx

Be brave strong - you will come through chemo even tho it’s a bastard !!! :joy:xx

1 Like

Hi - you’ve been given loads of sensible advice. I had a bit less time to prepare for chemo - originally thought to be DCIS and only found the invasive G3 tumour after my mastectomy and histology. I had a trip to France planned (during which it was my 60th) and my oncologist encouraged me to go and have a good time. Relaxing, going in your hols - I’d do that. It meant I didn’t have time to have my eyebrows microbladed which I would have done otherwise. In the event I didn’t lose all of them and was easy enough to fill in the gaps. I was planning to do cold cap so didn’t order wigs/scarves etc though did research the former. I had my long easily tangled hair cut into a short bob and got products from a company that specialises in this (not sure we can advertise names?). I imagine every treatment is different- I had twelve weekly paclitaxels and really lost pretty much no head hair. My sister, diagnosed with the same cancer 18 months after me also did cold cap and kept pretty much all her hair. I could give more tips if you plan to do it.

I got my nails, fingers and toes, painted a very dark colour - I had a few minor infections in finger nails but otherwise escaped unscathed. Lost a big toenail (after multiple infections and becoming ingrown) but it grew back within a year.

Def go for an early dental appointment if you are likely to have biphosphonates. My first infusion was delayed because of a debate about whether I should have a back tooth removed (fine at the moment but at risk if needing to be taken out in the next 5 years). In the end I didn’t, but if I’d had more time to think about it (and money to do it) I would probably have had had it and other dental work done - a front tooth crown replaced. But again we are all different and I’ll be on biphosphonates for 5 years because of non-cancer issues with my joints - usually only 2/3.

Of course eat well, exercise if you can. I would say get to a healthy weight for surgery (if you aren’t already) - or closer to it but think that matters most if you’re having reconstruction. I lost a bit of weight between diagnosis and surgery - still not then at “healthy” BMI. I thought I’d lose more during chemo but didn’t at all! But easy to obsess over this as I have done at points and that isn’t healthy either. I definitely cut back on alcohol, but enjoy my wine, was going on holiday and celebrating my 60th with family and friends afterwards, and my oncologist took a fairly relaxed view ie try to stick to the NHS guidelines of no more than 14 units. It’s about what works for you.

Bit of a ramble - hope helpful.

1 Like