Giving Blood

Hi All

My daughter is BRCA 2 and gives blood but I am wondering if she should. Does anyone know or should she just mention it when she goes tonight.

Thanks

Toddy

Hi Toddy

Please feel free to call our helpline for further information on this issue on 0808 800 6000 which is open 9-5 today.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi toddy,

As i understand it, if you have a serious illness or had major surgery or on medication or waiting medical test results you shouldnt give blood although im not 100% sure of this i would advise your daughter to make sure its ok before she gives any blood. As a brca2 carrier myself i wouldnt give blood. Please let me know how she gets on as i would like to know myself.

Take Care
Love Leslee x

Hi there - I am BRCA1 and I asked this question. Apparently you CAN give blood. Obviously the normal surgery questions will effect your donation.

Hope that helps…I wanted to get off pint 13 before my op…guess I will get some of those back in 3 weeks. Wish me luck! New boobs…here I come!

LA:)

Hi All,

Thanks for answering L.A I would never have thought you could but hey they can do alot these days with cleaning blood and things i suppose.

Good luck with your new boobs hope everything goes well.

Take Care
Love Leslee x

Well…our DNA in our blood and our genes can’t actually effect other peoples blood. They don’t clean it or anything, we have nothing contagious.

BRCA+ people can give blood freely…I intend to get back to it as soon as I can, to replace the many I will receive in only 4 days now! They moved my op forward 2 weeks!! OMG!

Whew…all will be good.

LA:)